Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #1 
Alexanderismylife

It's happening again D:

As some of you might remember earlier in the year my betta fish Alexander died of what was most likely a tumor. But I noticed after he died it looked as if the tumor had exploded? Now my betta fish Riley has one too but it's not on his body. It's a white ball shaped abnormality that kinda puffs out. I do regular WC weekly. (About 1/4 water changes a week,Every 2 1/2 weeks I do a full water change and the tank is fully cycled.) It's smaller in size and only on his upper fin. But since My other fish had died of something similar earlier,I don't think it's a tumor??? Also I included the best ATM pic I can get of it.

Thanks,Kayla
Attached Images

Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What size is the tank, filter, live plants, additives used

Look up lymphocystis and see if that fits.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #3 
Alexanderismylife

Ugh,It does fit expcially since He's in Alexander old tank which I thought I had gotten clean since I threw out all old decor and boiled everything. I guess not though. I read a article about the treatment and it said there was none and it would most likely fall off,but is commonly fatal. :O Currently I have him in a 5 gallon tank,With filter,No live plants just silk ones and the current tank temp is 80. Should I get a hospital tank and throw out the old tank? Also I used to have live plants in the tank but they died so I threw them away but that was when I still owned Alexander so it was several months ago and the obnormity just showed up a few weeks ago and started to affect him just a couple days ago.
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

My understanding of Lymphocystis is that it is usually not fatal as long as the growth doesn't impede eating, breathing, swimming.....and since it is viral in nature it has to run its course...the only treatment is to prevent secondary infection.

I would keep him in the 5gal and make twice weekly 50% water changes to keep the water really clean-if he is having problems swimming you may have to adapt things for this...like-removing the filter, lowering the water level...etc.....but if he is otherwise okay...swimming and eating without much problems I would just watch the area, maintain water quality, temp, nutrition and enjoy him.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #5 
baylee767

If you do a 100% water change every two and a half weeks, then you're destroying the cycle.

No clue as to what the problem is, hopefully it's what OFL said. Good luck with him!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote