Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #1 
Ariel1719

I think he's dying..

I've had Bacardi for a little over a year now, almost a year and a half. He is a comb tail betta. When i got him last year on res he was in a 2gal filtered/heated tank and he was flourishing. Then i had to move with my parents 5 hours and his tank broke.. SO He was chilling in a 2 gal un filtered/heated and was still doing great. Then i got him a great big 10gal all for himself which was filtered and heated and he got really lethargic so i moved him to a 5 gal filtered and heated. That made him go down hill so ive been medicating him in the 2 gal which is unfiltered and heated but he just isnt doing great... I change his water every other day he gets fed a mixture of the betta pellets, blood worms, and betta flakes. He doesn't get too much sun but isn't in total darkness either. I dont know whats going on with him, he's just pale and really skinny. Hes floating normally and swimming normally.. Just looks sick. I was treating him for fin rot before cuz his tail was starting to disintegrate and he was turning into a tail biter.... Suggestions/help?
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:39 AM   #2 
Aluyasha

Hmm, How long inbetween these many tank switches?
That could be what is making him sick if they were too close together.
I do not know what else it could be.
Try adding some Aquarium Salt to help him feel better. But do not use it for more than 10 days as it will harm him over time.
What is his temp at?
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #3 
Ariel1719

The tank changes were all over the course of a year... So not TOO too often. And the temp is at 78. I dont think it could be 'old age' or anything, seeing that i got him a year ago.. That being said he wasn't a baby a year ago either. But still.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #4 
Aluyasha

He might have parasites. One of my Bettas had parasites and it caused him to lose weight. And the pale colour could be from him not feeling well. My Betta still ate and acted normal but was just getting skinnier and skinnier.
Petstores have medicated pellets that you can feed him to see if he improves. I do not think they harm him if it turns out he does not have parasites, worth a shot. My Betta died because I caught it too late.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #5 
Ariel1719

Hmm Ill have to look into that! Tomorow im going to be going to my local big als so ill pick up some medication, my friend suggested maybe melafix? Im not sure... I want my babe to get better<3!!
Old 02-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #6 
Aluyasha

Or Bettafix, it is the watered down version of Melafix. I think Melafix is too strong for Bettas is why people get Bettafix. Though I have heard both good and bad things about both meds. It is up to you.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #7 
Ariel1719

Ahh okay i'll check that one out too. I'll do another water change today and add the meds.. Its just so weird... swimming normally and not lethargic at all.. just LOOKS sick.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #8 
Ariel1719

Well i just got back and i came home with bettafix, Anti-parasite meds, a new heater cuz his sucks, and a plant. Im getting ready to do a full tank change... My only issue now is that he isn't eating the parasite pellets! Their small enough for him to eat them.. but hes not!
Old 02-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #9 
Aluyasha

Try soaking them in garlic juice, I heard Bettas love it.
Plus, the garlic helps them recover from illnesses.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #10 
Ariel1719

Oh man I feel as if he has taken a drastic turn for the worse!! :( He wont eat ANY of his food now, even the garlic soaked anti parasite pellets.. Im in the middle of changing his tank so he's in a half gal just for a few hours. Im adding his new heater and new plant and more of the med. I really hope he pulls through. Ive never had this close of an attachment to one of my fish<3 Hes my 'heart' fish i believe.