Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #1 
BettasForever

Smile COMET UPDATE: How am I doing?

I just cleaned Comet's tank today. He is doing wonderful, no signs of any type of disease. This marks the 34th day I've had him. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right, so here's a little copy-and-paste of my tank info:

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon Aqua Scene Desktop Aquarium
What temperature is your tank? 79-80 degrees (cant tell with my tiny thermometer :3)
Does your tank have a filter? It has an airstone.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? No, but it has a light which keeps it warm.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets, two in the morning and two at night.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1/17/11-Current. (thats when I bought him o.O)

Here's a pic of his tank I took 5 minutes after water change:
So, am I doing everything right? I just wanted to know since this is my 2nd month of betta keeping. I also want to thank everyone on the forum for helping me out when I was a newbie. I appreciate it! I had no clue what to do in the beginning. When I was a kid I had a little bowl who I kept a betta named Prince in. He stayed with us for one whole year until I found him floating on the top. :( I obviously didn't take good care of him, but I know better now. :) Thank you!
Attached Images

BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

I Love that tank! It looks bigger than 2 gallons.I would try to get a small heater when you can, because the temperature drop at night might stress your fish out.I also would probably do 1 50% change mid week. then the 100%.
BTW, your fish is beaautiful The dark blue marble/pebbles compliment his colors nicely!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

also also, where did you get that tank and how much did it cost?

I'm still un-decided if I want to get a bigger tank and divide it for my other fish or just keep the tank I have and get another small one.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #4 
BettasForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
I Love that tank! It looks bigger than 2 gallons.I would try to get a small heater when you can, because the temperature drop at night might stress your fish out.I also would probably do 1 50% change mid week. then the 100%.
BTW, your fish is beaautiful The dark blue marble/pebbles compliment his colors nicely!
Hehe! It is really 2 gallons, the picture is enlarged a little. I will try to get a heater, but I don't have the money ATM but I will save up. I'll tell my parents that it's for the fish, though. :D Thank you, I didn't even think about the colors! :) I just love his little fishy face, and that was the most pretty gravel at Petsmart IMO. He really enjoys his tank, he was living in a little one gallon bowl and I couldn't bare to watch him float around with nothing to do... Poor guy. I got him this and with the help of the forum I am able to keep my betta healthy. :)
Old 02-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #5 
BettasForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
also also, where did you get that tank and how much did it cost?

I'm still un-decided if I want to get a bigger tank and divide it for my other fish or just keep the tank I have and get another small one.
I got it at Petsmart, the name of the tank is in my signature. :)
Old 02-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #6 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Comet looks beautiful! You're doing a great job with him. :)

The only thing I'd change is to step up your water changes.

In an unfiltered gallon tank, I do 50% half way through a week, then 100% at the end of the week.

An unfiltered two gallon isn't much bigger.

If you aren't testing the water parameters at all, frequent water changes are even more essential - to remove all the nasty chemicals you can't see (but build up nevertheless).

By the way, an airstone is kinda moot here, IMHO... it's the fresh water that provides oxygen (and other good things). I'd save a few pennies, and not run it. With the water calm, Comet can make his own bubbles... a bubblenest! :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #7 
BettasForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
Comet looks beautiful! You're doing a great job with him. :)

The only thing I'd change is to step up your water changes.

In an unfiltered gallon tank, I do 50% half way through a week, then 100% at the end of the week.

An unfiltered two gallon isn't much bigger.

If you aren't testing the water parameters at all, frequent water changes are even more essential - to remove all the nasty chemicals you can't see (but build up nevertheless).

By the way, an airstone is kinda moot here, IMHO... it's the fresh water that provides oxygen (and other good things). I'd save a few pennies, and not run it. With the water calm, Comet can make his own bubbles... a bubblenest! :)

He likes to 'eat' the bubbles, so I leave it on for a short period of time to let him play... he enjoys it! :) The bubbles are gentle, so they don't destroy his bubble nest; The only reason he doesn't have one is because of the water change, it was just starting to get big. :) Thanks for the advice, I will try to do more water changes. :D
Old 02-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #8 
Bettaluver4evr

Hello buddy! :) I still love this tank. ;) Comet looks very happy and the water is nice and very clean/clear. Water is filled to the top, nice aeration in there, and a cute lil thermometer. ;) Love it! Comet is very blessed to have such a caring owner! In that tank size I'd reccomend the hydor mini heater. It keeps the tank at a constant temp, but it will only raise the temp about 5 degrees above room temp. But that is fine in my case! I still think you should totally get another betta too, maybe a CT from petsmart or a DT, DBT or HM from Petco. They will be very happy in your care. ;) And you should totally get comet a cave or a new plant for being such a good boy. :P Hehe.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #9 
Johnificent

Wow, your betta fish looks very happy :) can you give me some help with my betta? i just got it yesterday, and it isn't eating at all, all it does is hide in the silk plant? want to give me some advice?
Johnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #10 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnificent View Post
Wow, your betta fish looks very happy :) can you give me some help with my betta? i just got it yesterday, and it isn't eating at all, all it does is hide in the silk plant? want to give me some advice?
Sometimes it takes bettas awhile to adjust. My betta batman didn't eat for the first 3 days I had him.He is a little guy, so I have to crush my pellets to feed him.