Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #1 
Canuck Fins

Unwanted Snail in my Tank

I added a bit of water to my tank today. (Evaporation had it down a bit and I had water ready from yesterday gassed and primed.) I added it and was looking at the bits of stuff floating in the water (I think just stirred up from adding new. Just particles or whatever). And I see a little black snail on my java fern. I soaked my plants in untreated water for 24 hours before they went in a few weeks ago. My tank is almost cycled (ammonia zero, need to test today to see if nitrites have further dropped, have nitrates.)

Do I need to worry about this little snail? It's little and black, not as big around as a pencil.

And is this why my tank looks like it's got a bit of slime on the inside? It was previously absolutely clear but then it wasn't close to cycling. Now the walls look dirty on the inside. I didn't know if I should wipe the inside of the tank to get rid of that; I know that's where the good bacteria is. (Will take photo if need to for clarification.)

Tank Specs.
5Gallon, heated to 80*, filtered/baffled with sponge, gravel, plants x4 (bacopa, wisteria, java fern x2), gravel, Prime, dead shrimpx2 for cycling/ NO fish in tank.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #2 
BlueHaven

http://www.planetinverts.com/snail_species.html
It's probably a pond snail, or bladder snail, check here.
But these snails reproduce like crazy, so if you don't want this you should get rid of it, or put it in it's own tank. They can reproduce on their own too. To get rid of it, crush it and squish any eggs (they are clear looking with white dots, at least the bladder snail eggs are).
They are pretty cool creatures though, and fun to watch, but the reproducing is the major problem.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #3 
Canuck Fins

Okay, I fished it out. But I'm wondering if that is what has caused the film on the inside of my tank. Can I wipe away the mess? Or will I risk hurting the almost cycle in the tank.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #4 
BlueHaven

Is it brown and/or green?
I don't know tons on this, but I do know that brown and green algae and slimy stuff can come from cycling the tank.
Slime can also come from alot of light, if the tank is right by a window, I think that slime is more of a clear dirty color.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #5 
Canuck Fins

It's brown. It only showed up in the last three or four days. My tank has been set up for about 2.5 months. If it's algae, can I clean it up? It's right in the middle of the front of my tank and it's ugly.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #6 
Cravenne

Go ahead and wipe it down, it will wipe off quite easily. It's likely diatoms which happen in newly set up tanks and will go away as the tank matures.

Also check for any sunlight hitting the tank...make sure your lights aren't on for too long if the problem continues or gets worse. Algae happens in fishtanks but isn't usually a problem if you keep on top of it.

Wiping it will not affect your cycle or alter any bacteria in your tank.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #7 
BlueHaven

Yea, it's just the results of the cycle. It may return though, but it will eventually dissapear. I think when the cycle is done the brown algae will start turning green.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #8 
Canuck Fins

Awesome! Thanks everyone for your help. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravenne View Post
Also check for any sunlight hitting the tank...make sure your lights aren't on for too long if the problem continues or gets worse. Algae happens in fishtanks but isn't usually a problem if you keep on top of it.
My tank does get natural light and we've actually had some sun lately. Yay! How long during the day does the light need to be on? I thought my plants maybe weren't getting enough light (some brown spots, esp on lower part of bacopa) so I had left it on a bit longer lately.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:35 AM   #9 
PewPewPew

I got snails, ranging from 3mm+ not even, both white and black with a spiral shell and they eat the daylights out of my plants >:C
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote