Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 04:21 AM   #1 
c4talys7

Red face Reading about some illnesses and AQ salt....

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

I was reading this website and it recommends 1teaspoon to ever 2.5 gallons of water in your tank to prevent things like Ick, fungus, velvet, external parasites (1teaspoon per 5 gal for this once actually) and stuff like that. Is this okay for a Betta? I know you're not suppose keep a Betta on a salt treatment (like 1-3teaspoons per gal?) for more than 10 days because it will damage them in the long run. But is 1teaspoon for every 2.5 gallons acceptable? Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.

I'm just curious because I would love to prevent any of these. Also, this would be for a cycled 14gal tank.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

I used to put salt in my treated water but I noticed that my fish would get stressed out plus you need to be careful if you do partial water changes because water eveporates but salt doesnt. If you use the same salt to water ratio every time you do a change, you're increasing the salt concentration.

I use 1-2 drops per galon of Aquarisol along with my water conditioner and have only ever had one fish with ick and I'm quite sure he had that before he was shipped to me because it happened just a few days after he being here plus he had another issue. I used Aquarisol to treat the ick in larger concentrations and you could see how the ick would fall off the fish... good stuff in my book!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #3 
BlueHaven

I have heard of some people using aquarium salt all the time, but it's probably better not to, I don't. Just keeping their water clean and giving them healthy foods, plus a safe environment helps tons. And warmer water temps, like 82. :)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #4 
c4talys7

Ok thanks guys for your feedback! I was just curious because I'm going to putting my fish in my first cycled tank and just kinda nervous something will happen. Also, what's Aquarisol?
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote