Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #1 
SarahSurfer

Please help.

I think he has SBD. I noticed signs weeks ago. Did treatments with Epsom salt and now hes floating at the surface of the water at an angle constantly not moving.

SarahSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Is he exhibiting any other symptoms such as bloating or lethargy? If you would answer the questions posted in the sticky at the top of the disease section it would really help us understand what type of situation he is in.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:33 PM   #3 
SarahSurfer

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.75
What temperature is your tank? 78-79
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Beta-Fin Color Enhancing Pellets. Bloodworms ocssionaly
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1x a day 4 pellets or 2x a day 2-3 pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water Conditioner. Small amount of aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bloated looking constantly, White belly, Discolored head
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, either floating vertically at top or laying on bottom.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Since I have had him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Used the Epsom salt treatment for a week. And have fasted him for a week prior.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Well the first things are you need to heat the tank to at least 76*, IMO it should be more like 78*. In a 1 gallon tank you need to be doing at least 3 weekly water changes because the ammonia in the tank will build up quite fast, even with just one fish.

I also think you may be over feeding by giving him 4-6 pellets a day. He probably should be fed more like 2-3 a day especially being in a small unheated tank. Fish are ectothermic which means the temperature of the water determines how fast their body systems work. A cold fish will have take longer to digest food so you need to feed less to keep them from getting bloated.

Honestly at this point I'm not sure if he can be brought back. I would begin by doing a water change right now and going to get a heater asap. Stop feeding and do another epsom salt treatment 1 tsp/gallon so add about 1.5 tsp. Do daily 100% water changes and keep the tank covered to keep a stress free environment.

He could have internal parasites as well. If the epsom salt treatment didn't work I would look into anti-parasitic medications such as API General Cure. It's pricey but if it saves your fish it's worth it.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:06 PM   #5 
SarahSurfer

I euthanized him. He was suffering. R.I.P Sarah <3