Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #1 
lilchiwolf

Sick Marble HM :(

So out of know where my happy go lucky HM that I have posted pictures about has fallen very ill.

Now since the day I got him he had always had rapid gill movement. Like it was hard for him to swim around do to heavy fins. Even so he always ate, swam around, flared and would take a short break on a plant then do it all over again. He was housed in a divided 10 gallon that is about 80`F and the other two males that are in there are totally fine.

I looked him over and there is nothing on his body. I new he was not feeling well when he didn't rush for his food and just laid at the bottom kinda sideways. He was still breathing heavy too.

Right now he has been in a 1gal with aquarium salt and Betta SPA conditioner. Water temp is about 78`F. He gets fresh water every day. Its been close to a week now and his rapid breathing has become very slow. For being white I can tell he has gotten more pail cause his blue marbling is hard to see now. He did eat 3 small frozen bloodworms from me last night, but that is all. He just lays on the heater and takes gulps of air now and then. Once in a while during a water change I will see some floating slime looking stuff on the bottom of the tank. I don't know is its loose slime coat or poop.

Andy help would be great to hear. Its hard seeing him go more down hill every day
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Do you know how old he is..

I would start a 10 day Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) treatment on him.

Put him in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank (attached to the side so it doesn't sink)
Get a clean 1gal jug and fill with dechlorinated water of like temp and add 1tsp/gal Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) use this water for 100% daily water changes for 2 days-then increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and continue the 100% daily water changes with this water for 7 more days-pre mixing the treatment water will help make water changes and correct dosage easier

Hold all food for the first 3 days and then offer half feeding twice a day during treatment

Maintain water temp in the 76-78F range

You can also add tannins to the Epsom salt treatment water from either-naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (10-12 crushed/gal) or Indian almond leaf or blackwater extract or decaf green tea-let one of these steep in the treatment water for at least 1 hour before use-the longer it steeps the more tannins released the dark the water the more the Betta will like it...shake well before use

Make sure the pre-mix treatment water is within a couple of degree in temp between the QT water-so not to cause temp shock problems.

Covering the top of the QT container with plastic veggie wrap will also help by keeping the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ.

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #3 
lilchiwolf

Thanks OFL. I am not sure how old he is. He was a PETCO betta. So I would think at least a year or so. I will keep you updated on his progress.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #4 
lilchiwolf

Well he is still the same other than he is eating more. He is just not moving around, or moving around like an old man. I put him back in his own tank too see how he would go. He just shot to the bottom and laid there, only coming up for air when needed. If a bloodworm sank, he would eat it, but thats all. Physically he looks fine other than he is still pail. I even plopped a female in there to see if that would spice him up, but he just laid there with not interest. She even gave him a funny look like "dude, what the hell?"

So once again he is back in his QT tank, new water, and all. I really don't know what to do. :/
Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Thats too bad.....he really isn't old enough to be suffering from age related problems......it may be genetic related and sadly not a lot you can do about that.....the depression and paleness is whats disturbing......but since he was able to get himself to the top for air...its not a blown swim bladder.....at least he is still eating.....good that you QT him a gain.....and you started the Epsom salt treatment...right?......good....sometimes it needs to be repeated and sometimes they need to be in low does Epsom salt long term especially if it is genetic or chronic in nature just to keep them comfy.......I have not had any problems keeping them in low dose Epsom salt 1tsp/gal long term like I have with aquarium salt......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #6 
lilchiwolf

Yes I have been doing all the things that you have said. Like I said when I got him, he used to breath very hard all the time, but was always active. So yeah, maybe it is something genetic. Maybe he is just worn out?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #7 
naturegirl243

WAIT did you read the Betta spa stuff it says don't add salt to the tank when you use it!

Oh p.s do you want to meet at petco today?
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #8 
lilchiwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirl243 View Post
WAIT did you read the Betta spa stuff it says don't add salt to the tank when you use it!

Oh p.s do you want to meet at petco today?

No, just stay home. Roads are still crappy and my car is stuck in the driveway :/
Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #9 
naturegirl243

okie dokie
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #10 
lilchiwolf

Just an update. I made the decision to put "Sexy" the marble HM down today. He was not getting much better. I was starting to see his head swell, like he may had a tumor. He would try to eat a little, but then fall back on his side.

May he RIP. At least he had a better life in a warm tank rather then a cold store shelf :(