Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #1 
neocharles

Question First Time Poster

So this post will be ALL over the place, so I figured this would be the best spot...

I have a ton of questions, so I hope you don't mind. I have had my fish for about a week now. (what kind is this specifically?)

Currently i have one of the smaller glass tanks (maybe around 1-2 gallons?) with my betta fish in it:

Reading on here, I take it these tanks are not good for them just based on the amount of 'cleaning' that will have to be done. I don't mind it if that's the only downside. Are there others?

If I were to get another tank, what would you suggest? (Walmart or Petsmart).

Is it possible to get a heater for this size tank, or would that require a larger tank?

Feeding, what would you suggest? I currently have http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754114 and http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4368182 if memory serves me correctly, along with http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752232. I have been feeding the 3rd to him (around 4-5 of them) once a day, and that's all. Should the feeding patterns be adjusted, and if so, to what?

As you can see by the picture, not a lot inside the tank at this time. Just the boat. He does like to lay in the hole inside the boat to rest, which is pretty cool. Do they like anything on the bottom? Gravel, marbles, etc.?

I look forward to your suggestions / help!
neocharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:19 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. It looks like you have a very pretty crowntail there. Tanks at Walmart might be cheaper but I've never bought one there so I don't know. I'm not too sure about heating a buwl or small tank. As far as feeding goes, most people feed their bettas 2-3 pellets twice a day. I hope this helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #3 
bamsuddenimpact

If short on funds, a 3 gallon critter keeper at petco is like 13$, then get a heater. Otherwise, I recommend the 2.5 gallon Desktop, the 2 gallon 360, and the Minibow. I have all 4 and love them. Also, a good heater I like and own two of, Elite Submersible Preset Heater Mini 25W - Elite A748. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00106X8QG it is adjustable, and i am able to keep my tanks around 80, not even at maximum heat. Hope this helps :)
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #4 
shinybetta

If short on funds you could also buy rubbermaid containers! For a good idea of the price, 30 gallons is 15$! Something about 5 gallons is only 2-3$!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #5 
LolaQuigs

Other than the frequent maintenance, the problem with tanks less than two gallons is that they can be difficult to heat. Most heaters will overheat or have inconsistent temperatures in small tanks.

I have the Minibow and the Petco Hex; both are nice 2.5 gallon tanks, and they come with filters, which aren't totally necessary in a small tank, but they do help cut down on water changes. Wal Mart has a nice 5 gallon kit as well. Most kits don't come with heaters, so you'll most likely have to buy that separately.

A lot of people have had success with bare bottom tanks. If you end up getting a 5 gallon or more, then substrate is recommended for easier cleaning and to help hold the cycle. In a smaller tank, you can just pour the water out, so a lot of people find it easier not to have gravel. I have a hard time keeping my decorations from floating without substrate, but you can experiment and see what works for you if you like the idea of a bare bottom tank.

As far as decor goes, bettas love a crowded tank. They like caves to hide in (as you know from him resting in the holes of the boat). They also love plants, real or silk. Be careful with plastic, as they can damage bettas' fins.

Pretty fish, good luck!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #6 
JaspersANGEL

Welcome! U have a very pretty crowntail boy there!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #7 
neocharles

I got a new tank, hexagon shaped (I think it was either 2 or 2.5 gallon). It came with a gravel filter, but it didn't seem to be functioning properly so I took it out. Being a smaller tank, I can do routine care on it fairly easily.

I added a heater to it, it said it was pre-programmed for 76 degrees... but I know the tank is sitting at around 85-86 currently. Is that too hot? I do notice that he is swimming around A LOT more than he was before when the temp was cooler, so that's a good sign for me.

--

On the feeding situation, you say 2-3 pellets 2x a day. We are talking about the really tiny pellets right?? (just seems so little... just want to make sure). If they sink to the bottom quickly, should I assume he will be able to find them on the floor (now using gravel) or should I toss some more in there?

Thanks!!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

85-86 is too hot. You may have gotten a heater made for a larger tank. The maximum size heater you should have is 25 watts.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #9 
neocharles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
85-86 is too hot. You may have gotten a heater made for a larger tank. The maximum size heater you should have is 25 watts.
It's a 10w.. Marineland "automatically set to 78 F, for up to 3gallon.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #10 
LolaQuigs

I've had that same problem. I have yet to find a preset small heater that doesn't overheat my 2.5 gallon tanks, which is why I am in the process of replacing them with adjustable heaters. I have a 25 watt adjustable Marineland which has been working great, and I just ordered the 25 watt adjustable Elite, which most people seem to love.

I have a small preset Marineland, probably the same one you have, that gets way too hot. Now that I have the new heaters I use it to heat the water change water I set out a day in advance--it heats to the perfect temperature when I only have to leave it in for a day!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote