Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 02:32 AM   #1 
BettaMama11

A new Betta Parent!! Some advice please!!

Hi everyone! I just bought my first Betta...and I'm nervous keep checking on her to make sure she's ok!

Just wanted to know what tanks are the best, she's only tiny so at the store I wasn't sure what tank to get for her she's in a small tank. I'm just worried that I don't have the right food, tank and if I need to get her a tank with a heater...or get her a lamp for now? And I also wanted to buy her another companion however the lady at the pet store told me it would be too risky to put two females together?

Help! Please! I want my new Betta to have a good start
Attached Images

Last edited by BettaMama11; 02-20-2011 at 02:38 AM.
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:52 AM   #2 
Abby

Hey and welcome to the hobby. I don't know what the pet store lady was saying I have three girls in my planted tank and two in the bay tanks together there would b four girls there but ones in at and the others a bossy lil lady. It's the males who you can't keep together. But you could always other fish like guppys or mollys but female betta's are ok together but usually more then two becaus ethe dominate one may pick on the other but mygirls are great
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:00 AM   #3 
Tomsk

I'm not totally clued up on female tanks,but I think it's reccomended that you keep 5 or more in a tank and the tank sze being 20G?.Someone who knows more will correct me I'm sure.

How big is your tank? If it is small you could always try shrimp (as long as your Betta doesn't see them as a snack )

Tomsk

Last edited by Tomsk; 02-20-2011 at 05:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #4 
BettaMama11

@Tomsk...My tank is pretty small, but I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger one, just looking at what tank is the best to get that can accommodate another Betta or a different type of fish perhaps.. My tank right now is 1/2 gallon

@Abby..thanks for the advice!! Do you keep any other type of fish or animal in your tanks with your Betta's?

Last edited by BettaMama11; 02-20-2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: adding comment
Old 02-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #5 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
I'm not totally clued up on female tanks,but I think it's recommended that you keep 5 or more in a tank and the tank size being 20G?.Someone who knows more will correct me I'm sure.
I was lucky all my females are from the same spawn so there isn't much trouble in my keeping groups of three
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
How big is your tank? If it is small you could always try shrimp (as long as your Betta doesn't see them as a snack )
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMama11 View Post
@Abby..thanks for the advice!! Do you keep any other type of fish or animal in your tanks with your Betta's?

I had three apple/mystery snails, my little one died yesterday but they keep the tank clean and the ladies leave them alone
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #6 
BettaMama11

Sorry to hear about that... :( will defo look into getting some snails when tank is upgraded thanks! =)
Old 02-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #7 
Pekemom

Bettamama~

I hope you don't mind my opinion here - I'm new to betta-keeping also! I'd suggest getting the experience with the one fish first, (cycling and maintaining the tank, water quality, learning which foods are best and the amount to feed, and all the things good betta parents need to know) before adding more livestock to the tank. There's alot to learn, and from what I understand, bettas don't get 'lonely' - or experience 'boredom.' Once you've got things under control, you can add to the tank at a later time.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekemom View Post
Bettamama~

I hope you don't mind my opinion here - I'm new to betta-keeping also! I'd suggest getting the experience with the one fish first, (cycling and maintaining the tank, water quality, learning which foods are best and the amount to feed, and all the things good betta parents need to know) before adding more livestock to the tank. There's alot to learn, and from what I understand, bettas don't get 'lonely' - or experience 'boredom.' Once you've got things under control, you can add to the tank at a later time.
+1.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 AM   #9 
karlhague

I thought the original poster said she had a half gallon tank?

If so you cannot cycle something that small.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #10 
Bettaluver4evr

Nice catch! Hehe. If your girl betta is the tiny 'thang' in your avatar, she's so pretty and cute! A half gallon tank is fine for now, but later on I'd reccomend a tank with a gentle filter or aerator. You can get some nice filtered one gallons for 15 or 20 dollars at Petsmart or Petco, those would be fine. Or you could go all out and get a filtered 2 gallon and up! Sometimes people don't even get filtered tanks though! I keep on of my bettas in a 1.2 gallon vase, and he's very happy, blowing bubblenests and being very spunky. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote