Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #1 
turtle10

Question Disinfecting Hospital "Equipment"

My betta recently passed from cotton mouth. How do I disinfect the heater that was in there? It is a normal adjustable Aqueon heater. Can I use vinegar? I don't want to use a heavy chemical like bleach.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #2 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
We need more information. Is the heater currently in use for any other fish or was it just used for one Betta? If the heater is not in use for any other fish and you don't have any other fish in the tank MEANING the tank is completely EMPTY except for decorations AND NOT A PLANTED TANK you can treat everything with salt (Canning/Pickling Salt or Aquarium Salt, Your choice). IF THE TANK IS EMPTY OF FISH AND/OR LIVE PLANTS, I would treat with salt and turn the heater up to 88-90 Degrees and leave it there for 10-14 Days. You Could also get some Aquarisol and do the same thing. Turn off your filter for 10-14 days, if you have a filter and just leave the tank alone.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #3 
turtle10

What? I just want to know how to clean the heater.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #4 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
I am telling you how to clean everything, tank, heater, decorations, etc.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #5 
turtle10

I just want to know if I can use vinegar to clean ONLY the heater. Salt and water alone won't kill the bacteria.

Also turning a filter off would kill the nitrifying bacteria.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #6 
luvmybetta

Your fish died from a Fungus...Treat everything.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #7 
turtle10

My fish died from bacteria. The heater is the only thing I need cleaned right now.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #8 
luvmybetta

I am telling you the way I would treat it if it were my tank..And Yes, you would have to recycle the tank. Salt works great if you are not in a hurry and it sounds as if you are. You might want to take a look at Aquarisol. I don't like using anything other than Salt or Aquarisol. Sorry, I have found that having patience often proves to be a better solution as opposed to using and introducing the possibility of any "fast" method.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #9 
turtle10

I just want to know if the vinegar will kill the bacteria on the heater. I am not trying to clean a tank.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #10 
luvmybetta

Trust me, from where I sit and type I am not trying to be argumentative with you I am just trying to understand why you would want to just clean a heater and not your entire tank since your fish was using the entire tank.