Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #1 
misamiania

New 5 gal tank ideas!

So I just ordered this tank

http://www.fish.com/item/aquatic-edg...-5-gal/701002/

Supper Supper excited to get it in. Now I would like ideas! :D It's for my newest fish... Rosso (curtisy of my friend. It means Red in Italian! An fit's with my -o names haha).

He's a red comb VT. With silver/blue scales (like rainbow fish!) and similar colored streaks.

Let the idea's come for a fish tank! i want to get idea's now so I can plan out how I want to se up the tank.

Also I have a question about Marimo(sp?) balls. If you buy one can you break it open and tie it down or would that be bad? I like the mossy look of them but would like it on a piece of driftwood or rock so any ideas would be appreciated for a substitute! I plan on putting moss in the tank, the only live plans I intend to have in this tank. I don't want to spend alot on plants because I'll be moving in a couple months.
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #2 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by misamiania View Post
So I just ordered this tank

http://www.fish.com/item/aquatic-edg...-5-gal/701002/

Supper Supper excited to get it in. Now I would like ideas! :D It's for my newest fish... Rosso (curtisy of my friend. It means Red in Italian! An fit's with my -o names haha).

He's a red comb VT. With silver/blue scales (like rainbow fish!) and similar colored streaks.

Let the idea's come for a fish tank! i want to get idea's now so I can plan out how I want to se up the tank.

Also I have a question about Marimo(sp?) balls. If you buy one can you break it open and tie it down or would that be bad? I like the mossy look of them but would like it on a piece of driftwood or rock so any ideas would be appreciated for a substitute! I plan on putting moss in the tank, the only live plans I intend to have in this tank. I don't want to spend alot on plants because I'll be moving in a couple months.

Instead of Marimo balls, If you want it to cover a rock or driftwood, You could try Java moss. Java moss is relitivly cheap and very easy to look after.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #3 
misamiania

This is Rosso, so you can see his color!

Maybe White themed?

Old 02-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #4 
misamiania

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhague View Post
Instead of Marimo balls, If you want it to cover a rock or driftwood, You could try Java moss. Java moss is relitivly cheap and very easy to look after.
I've thought about that if the marimo balls don't work. I just really like the soft squishy look to the marimo balls. An I saw someone on another site was selling a log that had it covered in that type of moss.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #5 
misamiania

I think I'll go with the java moss.

Any ideas? Anyone?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #6 
maycausedeath

You actually can do that with marimo balls. My lfs has a huge display tank with several broken open marimos growing on driftwood. It looks really neat, I'd say go for it!

Beautiful fish by the way, white would look great with him!
maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #7 
Malvolti

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with breaking open a marimo and tying it down. Lots of people do it. One of my favourite uses of marimo balls was someone did an asian theme tank and broke down marimos to make a mossy "path" up to their pagoda.

Java moss won't look the same, it's more of a long standy freefloater. Marimo is mossier. Technically a Marimo is a form of algae that is made to grow in a ball (if it's real which means very expensive since it is a protected species). Rither way by breaking it apart and anchoring it you are letting it grow in a more natural way.

Last edited by Malvolti; 02-20-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #8 
misamiania

Are marimo balls hard to take care of? I think I might do both in all actuality.

Does anyone know a place to get white artifical plants?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #9 
Malvolti

Does your tank have light? Good, then the marimo will be fine!

In all seriousness they take about as much care as a java fern.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #10 
misamiania

Yes, yes it does. That and my room has the most natural lighting in the house. An the tank will be on my desk so it'll get natural light as well as the tank light.

That's good to know. he'll have ghost shrimp in there with him so they'll like hiding in the java fern and munchin on the marimo.