Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #1 
Malvolti

My Latest Betta Dilemma

I normally have Howl, my blue veil tale, on one side of a heavily planted cycled divided 10 gallon. Since he's been in there he never builds bubble nests or moves around much unless he's chansing his shrimp. Recently he contracted finrot and needed to be moved to a 1.5 gallon hospital tank.

Now that he's in the 1.5 he is extremely active and is building bubble nests daily. He seems much happier and is healing very quickly.

My dilemma is do I keep him in the 1.5 gallon? It isn't a bad size and he sure seems happier but I don't normally have the time required to maintain a 1.5 gallon. That's why he was in the 10.

It seems I have to chose between a happy betta and having time to do assignments and readings for class.

I'm thinking I have to leave him where he is happier and try to make time for the added maintenance. On the bright side it leaves me room for another Betta >.< I just don't like the idea of him being cooped up in such a small tank

Here's another for you:

Domino, my dalmatian veiltail has had a head fungus since I bought him over a month ago (I saw him with the fungus which is one reason I bought him). I have quite literally tried every treatment commercially available to treat this thing and nothing has worked. It is spreading but very slowly, it hasn't quite doubled in size over the month+ I've had him the majority of which was between treatments.

The problem is if I stop treatment it starts spreading rapidly.

The dilemma is: Do I let the fungus run it's course or do I keep treating until the meds kill him?

And yes, I've tried every natural remedy aswell. They did even less than the meds are.

Last edited by Malvolti; 02-20-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #2 
turtle10

Chiquito was in a 5 gallon, and Bellino was in a 10 gallon. I was like, why don't I get Chiquito a 10 gallon to be fair? As soon as he was in there, no bubblenests. I finally put him back in his 5 gallon. The next day he was back to normal building bubbles :)
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #3 
Abby

some just like smaller room. neros been a little blue since i put him in the 8 bay and my bf (refer to the "I hate people telling me how to look after my fish thread) who apparently KNOWS EVERYTHING refuses to let me keep MY fish in the critter carrier he was happier in
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #4 
turtle10

But it is your fish Abby, you can do what ever you want with it lol.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #5 
Malvolti

Maybe once Domino vacates the three gallon I'll move Howl into that. It'll still be smaller than the 5 gallons but bigger than what he's in now.

Bettas can be such a great source of happiness, but when things aren't going well...*sigh*
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #6 
Goomba3

Fish are tough. They're not like cats or dogs. When cats and dogs are feeling restless or unhappy, you can generally talk to them, assess their moods and figure out what's wrong. With a betta, you can't do that. You have to guess and hope what you change works. If he's happier in a smaller tank, perhaps try the 5-gallon idea, since 1.5 seems too small. Maybe get lots of decor so he feels cozier and more enclosed, because that seems to be what he likes.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote