Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #1 
MelKurtonic

Blu gets really mad at me for changing his water

anyone else experiencing this? I'll do a water change and afterwards he hides out for about an hour before swiming around again. Same thing happens with Seiko, our crown tail

Last edited by MelKurtonic; 02-20-2011 at 03:46 PM.
MelKurtonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #2 
Viani

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelKurtonic View Post
anyone else experiencing this? I'll do a water change and afterwards he hides out for about an hour before swiming around again. Same thing happens with Seiko, our crown tail
o: How much of the water do you change? Depending on what size tank you have?
Viani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #3 
MelKurtonic

it's only when I do 100% changes
Old 02-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #4 
Viani

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelKurtonic View Post
it's only when I do 100% changes

Yes, it's normal, since you're doing 100% water changes, that is. If you saw the thread in the "Betta Fish Care" Forum, there's a topic being discussed on betta that go into shock named "Betta Fish Gone Into Shock? Ever happen to you?". Take a look at it. :)

One of the replies in that thread was from LolaQuigs:
"These sudden changes of water conditions can be very stressful and dangerous for fish."

But I see it happen with some of my bettas, but they're just getting used to the new water that you put in. :3
Viani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #5 
fishman12

Hmm, no. That's interesting. He might just be suffering from post-traumatic stress...
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #6 
Malvolti

I had to stop doing 100% changes from how stressed Howl was getting. As long as he's in his tank he doesn't care how much water I take, as long as he has a couple inches to swim in.

Domino on the other hand attacks the siphon or tries to swim up it, I have to keep it millimeters above the gravel she he can't. Then if I put my hand in he tries to eat me. He's a fiesty little bugger.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #7 
LolaQuigs

The person in the other thread had placed his fish in water that was too cold and not conditioned, so it was traumatic to the fish. If your temperature is similar to the temp of the old water and your water is conditioned properly, water changes aren't dangerous or really traumatic, but they can be stressful.

If your fish is stressed easily and you have a smaller tank that requires 100% water changes, I would suggest acclimating your fish just like you're supposed to do when you get a new fish. Make sure the temperature of the new water is the same as his old water. Keep him in a cup of his old water during the WC, then when the new water is in the tank, float him in it and add a little bit to his cup. Wait 15 minutes or so, then add a bit more of the new water, wait again and then add more, etc. Then when he is in entirely (or almost entirely) new water release him into the tank. Hopefully this will help reduce the stress of the changes.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #8 
MelKurtonic

Thanks for the help I'm going to try this I don't think it's the water temp but just in case i try to keep them as close as possible in temp I think it's the coming out and going back in that makes him so upset. He doesn't want to be bothered for a while after that then I'll see him swimming around like nothing happened a little while later. I usually do partials until I have to clean the bottom then I do 100% every 3 days because I don't have a gravel Vaccuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
The person in the other thread had placed his fish in water that was too cold and not conditioned, so it was traumatic to the fish. If your temperature is similar to the temp of the old water and your water is conditioned properly, water changes aren't dangerous or really traumatic, but they can be stressful.

If your fish is stressed easily and you have a smaller tank that requires 100% water changes, I would suggest acclimating your fish just like you're supposed to do when you get a new fish. Make sure the temperature of the new water is the same as his old water. Keep him in a cup of his old water during the WC, then when the new water is in the tank, float him in it and add a little bit to his cup. Wait 15 minutes or so, then add a bit more of the new water, wait again and then add more, etc. Then when he is in entirely (or almost entirely) new water release him into the tank. Hopefully this will help reduce the stress of the changes.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #9 
MelKurtonic

I guess he's not mad anymore cause I went out and came back and found a bubble nest in his tank!
Old 02-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #10 
Luimeril

to him, he's in a new place, especially if you change things around. it's normal for him to feel a bit scared. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote