Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #1 
Lordsameth

I hate being told how to raise MY fish.

It drives me crazy when other people tell me the proper ways of raising my fish. Specifically non-fish people. I do daily water changes in Biscotti's quarantine tank and when my step-dad found out he flipped, telling me I am killing him and you aren't supposed to change your fishes water at all, just add new stuff. I explained ammonia and he wouldn't listen.

When we were kids, we kept all kinds of incompatible fish together. Most notably my brother kept a Betta and a goldfish together. He recently suggested I keep my 6 inch albino tiger barb in my five gallon tank with Biscotti. I said Betta are best left alone and he brought up that I should just put them all in one tank. 2 male Betta and a tiger barb. Beautifully compatible.

How about you? Ever receive bad advice from non-fish people?
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #2 
naturegirl243

Oh my that would not turn out pretty putting them all together.For awhile my mom thought I was "obsessive" and that I should just leave the fish alone........now she has two bettas Po a Dal. VT that lives in a 2.5 minibow and her female Knomi who lives in a Marina 2 Gal. "goldfish starter" kit.I did have someone at my petco a customer not a worker tell me when I got Diego that he looked dieased....He is a dragon he just has a second set of scales lol.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #3 
Abby

i go one better then all this. my bf has had fish forever, he like the barbs catfish loaches etcetc, hes just getting to setting up his salt water tank, He has NEVER had bettas but insists he knows EVERYTHING about them and tells me im paranoid when my bettas look off colour, this causes QUITE a few arguements
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #4 
Luimeril

my mom once told me i should keep goldfish and bettas together. >.> i told her no. xD i'm teaching her proper fish care now. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #5 
BettasForever

I HATE this. I do the same thing to my parents! They don't understand how delicate bettas are. Bettas are such lovely fish and should not be treated that way.
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #6 
bloo97

I loathe this kind of thing.
"Oh, you shouldn't do water changes every 2 weeks, it'll stress your fish out."
"Yeaahh, Okay. "
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #7 
vaygirl

Luckily my husband knows nothing about fish and admits to it! Well, nothing beyond what I've told him when I'm cleaning tanks. Even if he did, my fish, my decisions. :P

BUT there's a lady who works at my Petco and she's the aquatic's expert. She's told me more then once that I'm killing my bettas by using a heater and cleaning their tank too often and feeding them too much. She recommended to feed them once a week and clean their tanks once a month or two. She says it's the only way she can get hers to live longer then a month. :/ She tried to talk me out of a heater once.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #8 
Lordsameth

Gosh, those people who think they know more than Betta fanatics... The lady at the pet store I get my fish at doesn't seem to even see the Betta as living creatures.
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #9 
Betta Slave

I've never gotten this... my parents don't try and get in the way of how I take care of my fish (my dad was a fish person himself- that's where I got my basic knowledge from). My friends don't really care about my fish, so I don't get any wrong advice from them.

Even the people at my pet/fish-store don't tell me what to do... it's nice.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:51 PM   #10 
bloo97

Lucky you!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote