Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 09:58 PM   #11 
Alexanderismylife

Yeah,My mom actually does this quite often. >.< It's not so bad anymore now she just kinda annoys me by saying that I don't feed them enough and do too many water changes. A couple weeks ago she actually added Fin Rot meds to Claras tank! (ARGH) When she obvouisly showed no signs of fin rot since her fins were perfect and had no holes or tears in them what so ever. Blahhh! Now I pretty much just keep all my fish supplies hidden and just ignore her comments. :l
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #12 
Lordsameth

So lucky. I do my best, and I KNOW my fish are happy.
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #13 
Pekemom

I've got the same lucky situation as Vaygirl - my husband knows nothing about fish and pretends to act interested when I talk about it, but I don't think he really is. That's okay - I'm not all that interested in who's winning the Super Bowl!! I do have a knowledgeable fish person at Petco that I like to talk to. But even in that case, I use my own judgement in what I do or don't do with my betta.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #14 
tsoto80

Just the other day I got two bettas and when I was checking out the lady behide me was admiring my boys and saying how she loves them she told me to put them in the biggest tank I can find and they will grow to the size of the tank. Can you imagine a 20 inch betta lol I asked her if she had a betta she told me she did have one for ten years and held her hands out for how many inches he was about 6 inches according to her okay maybe it is possible but probably by proffesionals and not a drunken old lady.
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

I hate this. I sort of have fish tanks everywhere, they spread when I ran out of power points, so you kind of do notice them. When we have visitors, they look at my tanks, and then usually say: "Is there only one fish in there? Why is it so big for one fish?" or something along that vein.

The thing is, one of my fish has about 8 gallons to itself while the others have from 3.5 to 7 gallons each, so it's not like their tanks are huge. I then have to patiently explain that fish like having more room to swim around and explore, plus maintenance is easier on larger tanks. If I wanted low maintenance, I would go find that pet rock we liberated into our front yard when I was about five.

It seems whenever I mention I own fish to anyone they tell me: "I had fish once and they all died". It has gotten to the point now where I just finish their sentence for them, and then go on to explain cycling, water changes, proper care etc. Everyone at work now refers to me as the Crazy Fish Lady.

Another 'good' one is when people suggest I should put my fish together and fight them. Because supposedly it's fun to watch my pets maim and kill each other. Sometimes I think our gene pool needs some bleach.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:02 AM   #16 
Aluyasha

My aunt tells me all the time how I clean my fish tanks way too much. And everytime one of my fish dies, she says it is because I am a bad owner.
Also I get that same comment from my cousin, littlebettafish. About why I have 5-2.5 gallons with only one fish in it. Even though he has a 55 gallon with just one fish in it (a red devil).
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:36 AM   #17 
Slipstitch

People keep telling me to put goldfish in with my betta boys... I can't figure out why on earth they think it's a good idea. I just don't get where they come up with it. I've also had the chick at the petco tell me not to buy a heater O.o
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #18 
tsoto80

I also have tanks all over my house....well kinda it just looks like a lot when they are being treated in the hospital or I get a new one and quarantine them I have a ten divided three ways in my room, a five gallon in my son's room that I want to divide and my 20 gallon sorority/community tank in my dining room I was showing them off to my BF uncle and my mother-in-law had a bad look on her face like she wanted to say something mean
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #19 
Slipstitch

If she ever does say something mean, ask her how many pairs of shoes or bottles of nail polish she has. At least you have an interest in something that is, to be redundant, interesting.
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #20 
Luimeril

i adore the people at the pet store i go to. they know alot about different kinds of fish. i'm totally crushing on the one guy, too. xD he's the one who orders the neat bettas, which is why i have Theo now. <3 when i told them my plan for dividing the 10 gallon, they seemed rather pleased. "that gives them alot of room each" was about what they said. <3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote