Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #51 
wildmagic713

I dunno, my dog is pretty good at begging :P

But there was this time that I was at my aunt's house and she had one of the other rescued Bettas from my cousin's wedding (Mine died this past weekend unfortunately but he was around 2 years old if not older so I guess it was to be expected....) and was keeping it in this tiny little bowl and not treating the water or doing changes and the poor little fellow had awful fin rot :(

I was biting my tongue and I wanted to lecture her and my mom knew that and was like "We know best, we're the adults." and I wanted to kill someone.

MY Betta was happily swimming and eating and all of that, hers was so lethargic and I wanted to go "YOU'RE BEING SO DUMB! THEY DO REQUIRE CARE!"
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #52 
RiverStoneBetta

That is probably the fastest way to ruffle my feathers in regards to bettas. Betta centerpieces are probably even more dangerous than the old peace lily vases, and your guests won't pay much attention to them anyways, except the ones that either know something about bettas, or people who drop stuff in to see what the fish do. One family I know through Scouts rescued wedding bettas and I got a bajillion phone calls in one night because of it. I ended up taking them shopping myself and gave them a crash course in fish care and water parameters.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #53 
wildmagic713

I had mine in a 10 gallon filtered heated treated well-cleaned tank.

I got so mad >:( Especially since he was NOT a VT like mine, he was a delta :(
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #54 
fishman12

Yeah, I ggive advice to my friends, but only because he has 4 goldfish, 1 sucker fish, and 1 other fish in a 10 gallon. He says he does water changes every 2 months.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #55 
bettamaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
Yeah, I ggive advice to my friends, but only because he has 4 goldfish, 1 sucker fish, and 1 other fish in a 10 gallon. He says he does water changes every 2 months.
wow that is horribly overstocked
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #56 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

There are a lot of mis-informed, well-meaning people out there who harbor misconceptions about bettas (and other pets). Part of that is because of how bettas are unscrupulously marketed. Part of it is 'old' science - people learned years ago about about fish-keeping... but haven't kept up with it.

Consider yourselves goodwill ambassadors for creatures who can't speak for themselves - and politely educate those you come in contact with.

Oddly enough, some of the most irritating of the 'uneducated' are relatives, because family dynamics get in the way at times. Lead by example; when your fish thrive, those around you will take notice - although they might not be able to admitt that they were wrong, they may begin to enjoy what you are doing.

That's a start. :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #57 
Aluyasha

You are right about family being the most hard headed. :)
My Aunt will not even pretend to listen to me and thinks I am wrong about everything pets. And everytime my fish dies, she thinks it is because I do not know what I am doing. But everytime one of her fish dies, she just says it was his time.
She will not stop thinking of me as the little kid she once knew and because she is older than me, she has to be right about everything. That is how she thinks of it.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #58 
bettamaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluyasha View Post
You are right about family being the most hard headed. :)
My Aunt will not even pretend to listen to me and thinks I am wrong about everything pets. And everytime my fish dies, she thinks it is because I do not know what I am doing. But everytime one of her fish dies, she just says it was his time.
She will not stop thinking of me as the little kid she once knew and because she is older than me, she has to be right about everything. That is how she thinks of it.
an argument you could make from that is that your bettas live longer whereas her bettas dont to prove that you a taking care of them correctly.
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #59 
Aluyasha

I am still not sure. She has to be the most stubborn and narrow-minded person ever. She is so frustrating that I just do not really talk to her anymore.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #60 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Aluyasha,

Believe me, I know how you feel.

It's sad... you and her could share such a cool interest in fish together... but she's not open to that right now.

Arguing with your Aunt won't make the situation better... and will just make you feel worse. Lead by example. Either she comes around or she doesn't, but in the meantime, you've done the right thing for your fish... and you.

There is an old saying...."You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". Think of it this way... "You can lead a man to truth, but you can't make him THINK". It's up to the other person to grow and change... no matter how much you nuture them and help them to see.

There are none so blind, as those who will not see... pity them, for they are the ones who are missing out. Stay open-hearted, though... people change, sometimes when you least expect it...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote