Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #1 
Slayers

What to clean after betta passes

I just had 1 of my new Females pass on today. I have 2 new males sitting in critter carriers that 1 will get her old tank but what should I do to clean it and make it safe?

I am not sure what she had when she passed she was not swimming right since I got her and I found her face down in the rocks I just want to make sure the tank is safe for my new guy that I put in there
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #2 
Crazykat

I'm sorry for your loss. :(
When my boy died, I bleached everything. Swirled the gravel and tank in bleach, ran dilute bleach through the filter and over the heater, fake plants, thermometer. Then, I let everything sit in the sun for a few days to dissipate the bleach. Then I boiled everything. I may be a bit paranoid, but my boy had ick, and I didn't want to take any chances. Seems to have worked in any case. In your situation, I'd try to clean everything (maybe not as fanatically as me) if it's not clear what she died from.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:18 AM   #3 
Lordsameth

Crazykat is right, except don't use any detergents, soap, bleach,etc. Just use really hot water. Do not boil the plants or gravel, as they might melt or explode. I would also take apart the filter and clean it, and rinse the filter media with the new tank water.

The most important part is getting the plants and the gravel clean, as well as fresh new water.
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:39 AM   #4 
Crazykat

You pour boiling water over the gravel instead of boiling it itself. That way it won't explode. I did the same with the plants. Personally, I would just toss the filter media. It's just too risky IMO.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #5 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
However you decide to clean and I personally like to use salt (Canning/Pickling or Aquarium Salt, your choice) as I am not into using household cleaning products on anything fish related. Since we are just talking about a 1 gallon tank and if you have a filter, I would just toss the filter cartridge, filter media and start over with a fresh one. I am assuming you are able to make frequent water changes. A 1 gallon tank is easy to clean. However you decide to clean just remember: You can never rinse too much. I do water changes every 3-4 days and I have a Betta in a 5 gallon filtered tank. Water changes make him happy and they make me happy, too.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #6 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Sorry about talking about a 1 gallon tank. Jeez...I AM OLD..Anyway, whatever the size of your tank still applies to my previous post.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:16 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I throw out gravel or rocks and I use vinegar to clean the tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote