Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #1 
Antoni

Can Bettas really live with other fish?

I have a 55 gallon fish tank. I have guppies, neon and x-ray tetras, sunburst wags, suckers, black and gold snails, panda/ peppered and spotted catfish. I just got 2 pea puffers cause the snails breed like crazy.

I have my Betta "Anton" in a 5 gallon tank all by himself cause I thought they can only live by themselves. I see some people have other fish behind thier Betta pics.

Can Bettas live in bigger tanks with other community fish? I really dont think I'll change this, but I would like your guys' experience and opinions.
Antoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #2 
turtle10

Yes they can :)

I have a male plakat in a 20 gallon with four female guppies (not fancy), five micro rasboras, a few snails, and a tiger pleco. They get along really great, except the first week the male nipped at the guppy with the darkest tail. That has been the last of the fighting. The guppies know the male is boss, he has the upper right side by the heater and driftwood claimed.

Some people have a sorority, which is when 5 or more female bettas are kept together. A sorority can also be in a community tank. I plan on getting 6-7 pygmy cories for my sorority, but people have suggested guppies, mollies, bloodfins, tetras, etc.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #3 
Malvolti

Bettas can live with some other species fairly well but not your tank. A Betta would be seen as an easy meal in there.

They are generally good with some Mollies, non-fancy guppies, small species of tetras, pygmy corries, swordtails. Small Peaceful schoolers usually.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #4 
JKfish

Yes they can, but they won't exactly thank you for it. Your ability to keep bettas with tank mates alsodepends on the general disposition of your betta. Also, you have to make sure they are compatable. Aggressive fish, or larger or faster ones don't typically go well with bettas.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #5 
bloo97

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Yes they can, but they won't exactly thank you for it. Your ability to keep bettas with tank mates also depends on the general disposition of your betta. Also, you have to make sure they are compatable. Aggressive fish, or larger or faster ones don't typically go well with bettas.
And to add to that, Don't get fin nippers. Some fish find nipping long flowing fins irresistable.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #6 
shinybetta

The pea puffers can get VERY aggressive. Be careful.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #7 
LittleNibbles93

I had my betta with 1 non-fancy black guppy, 2 bleeding heart tetras, 1 algea eater, 1 molly, and 1 corycat, and all at once, for about 1-2 years :) (Then I moved and they started to die D: )
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #8 
Antoni

As I mentioned in another post. He hated the small tank so I did move him in the bigger tank. He has been so happy ever since. So far its been 3 days and all is quiet in the tank. Anton has such a gentle personality that he often leaves when the sunburst wags get in his hidey spots. Finally today the sunbursts have let Anton have his favy spot.

I am happily surprised. *smiles*
Antoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #9 
Pekemom

Harmony is a beautiful thing! It really does depend on the personality of the fish. So glad Anton is happy!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #10 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Sure, Why Not?

There are some fish that bettas won't like, and others they'll be perfectly fine with.

Desides the obvious things (like the fish have to be able to live in the same type of waters as bettas, as well as same temperatures, etc.), betta's can get along with almost any kind of fish, excluding a female with a male betta obviously.

Female bettas: They can live in a group of other female bettas as well as a community of other types of fish. I don't recommend goldfish or minnows. Goldfish are pretty mean anyway, and minnows are way too hyper for their liking. (My betta Leliia wouldn't stop chasing the Rose Minnow she was "roomed" with one day because the minnow kept trying to tap her, almost as if trying to play tag.)

Male bettas: They probably do better in smaller communities of other fish (but never with another male betta)... for example, I don't recommend you put a male in a tank filled with hundreds of guppies as this is both crowding and annoying to him. The black orchid Crowntail my grandfather had lived in a tank with a few guppies and an algae-eating shrimp. He never really bothered the other fish as long as they didn't bother him, so it worked well.

Each fish has their own personality, though. It really depends on his/her personal temperament as to what fish they'd be fine with living among.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote