Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2011, 05:08 AM   #11 
karlhague
Member
 
karlhague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
There are some fish that bettas won't like, and others they'll be perfectly fine with.

Desides the obvious things (like the fish have to be able to live in the same type of waters as bettas, as well as same temperatures, etc.), betta's can get along with almost any kind of fish, excluding a female with a male betta obviously.

Female bettas: They can live in a group of other female bettas as well as a community of other types of fish. I don't recommend goldfish or minnows. Goldfish are pretty mean anyway, and minnows are way too hyper for their liking. (My betta Leliia wouldn't stop chasing the Rose Minnow she was "roomed" with one day because the minnow kept trying to tap her, almost as if trying to play tag.)

Male bettas: They probably do better in smaller communities of other fish (but never with another male betta)... for example, I don't recommend you put a male in a tank filled with hundreds of guppies as this is both crowding and annoying to him. The black orchid Crowntail my grandfather had lived in a tank with a few guppies and an algae-eating shrimp. He never really bothered the other fish as long as they didn't bother him, so it worked well.

Each fish has their own personality, though. It really depends on his/her personal temperament as to what fish they'd be fine with living among.

Actually for Keeping a Male and Female Betta together, It dpends on the male and Females Temperment, Nature and Aggression..

Yesterday I had NO choice to allow my female in with my males tank ,(after she was floating in an ice cream carton she jumped) Her tank heater went boom.

After Carefull watching I noticed both flare at each other and them swim away as fast they could into different plants.
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #12 
windfire
New Member
 
windfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
hmmm lets see all mine live with roomies of one type or another, Ares has 5 khulis, Apollo lives in my 1.2m heavily planted community and my latest addition is Apsolem and he has 5 white clouds that chase each other around but leave him alone. all my tanks are well planted, provided theres hidey places there shouldnt be a problem. i've also known people here to keep a males and 3-4 females together with no problems but as has been mentioned it all depends on the bettas personality. Apollo would be ok i think but Ares is far to aggresive, Apsolem i'm not sure, i still havnt gotten a handle on his personality just yet.
windfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #13 
BlakbirdxGyarados
Member
 
BlakbirdxGyarados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Currently based in NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhague View Post
Actually for Keeping a Male and Female Betta together, It dpends on the male and Females Temperment, Nature and Aggression..

Yesterday I had NO choice to allow my female in with my males tank ,(after she was floating in an ice cream carton she jumped) Her tank heater went boom.

After Carefull watching I noticed both flare at each other and them swim away as fast they could into different plants.
That's interesting. My grandfather actually used to be a betta breeder and he's never been able to keep females with a male. (They'd get beaten up badly.)

Hopefully (if having to put your female with the male was recent) it's really their temperament that makes them able to live together, or they're just not familiar with each other and are avoiding for now... And I hope they don't start fighting when you're not around. D:
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #14 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Males and females can be kept together until spawning is complete. I've had them live peacefully together upt to 2 weeks in a tub before they spawned.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #15 
BlakbirdxGyarados
Member
 
BlakbirdxGyarados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Currently based in NJ
Well, spawning yes. But keeping them together just to keep them together is risky.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #16 
karlhague
Member
 
karlhague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
Well, spawning yes. But keeping them together just to keep them together is risky.

Yup its Risky but I didnt have a choice..

The heater in the tank she was going in exploded... And Damaged the seal on the tank.
She arrived yesterday, Had no other tanks suitable tried floating her, she jumped out, So Rather than stress her, whilst things are going well I'm just going to leave her be.

Moving the endlers,guppies and fry out of this tank after the weekend
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #17 
BlakbirdxGyarados
Member
 
BlakbirdxGyarados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Currently based in NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhague View Post
The heater in the tank she was going in exploded... And Damaged the seal on the tank.
She arrived yesterday, Had no other tanks suitable tried floating her, she jumped out, So Rather than stress her, whilst things are going well I'm just going to leave her be.
Wait, it literally exploded?! I didn't... know that could happen. At least, not with an aquarium heater, as that sounds rather dangerous to the aquatic life living in it. >>
But it's understandable what you did. Just hope nothing else bad happens..
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #18 
karlhague
Member
 
karlhague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
Wait, it literally exploded?! I didn't... know that could happen. At least, not with an aquarium heater, as that sounds rather dangerous to the aquatic life living in it. >>
But it's understandable what you did. Just hope nothing else bad happens..

Yup it exploded. Made a huge mess, She arrived an hour after , And I had to strip the entire tank down, as Their could be tiny glass particals and stuff..

It was an hagen Elite 25w... Sent it off to them like they requested, well the bits of it could actually find.

So lets wait and see what they say!

I'm just watching them alot, They know each other are there.. As they flare at each other occasionaly.

but apart from that they tend to keep out of each others way
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #19 
BlakbirdxGyarados
Member
 
BlakbirdxGyarados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Currently based in NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhague View Post
Yup it exploded. Made a huge mess, She arrived an hour after , And I had to strip the entire tank down, as Their could be tiny glass particals and stuff..

It was an hagen Elite 25w... Sent it off to them like they requested, well the bits of it could actually find.

So lets wait and see what they say!

I'm just watching them alot, They know each other are there.. As they flare at each other occasionaly.

but apart from that they tend to keep out of each others way
Well, that's good... not the heater exploding thing, the fact that they're "getting along" alright.

So the company's going to replace it for you?
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #20 
karlhague
Member
 
karlhague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Yorkshire, UK
I certainly hope Their Going to replace it.

The guy said it all depended on what condition they get it in (yes i told them it exploded)....

So If it goes on the condition i think a replacement will come LOL
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What fish can live with bettas? Mushu Betta Fish Compatibility 21 11-21-2012 03:22 PM
Can you have this fish live with bettas?? anglnarnld Betta Fish Compatibility 27 11-17-2010 05:23 PM
Whta bettas can live with bettabreeder123 Betta Fish Compatibility 1 11-07-2010 10:46 AM
can bettas live with ifish Betta Fish Care 5 06-22-2009 08:48 PM
Can bettas live with other fish in the same tank?? artemis malvoti Betta Fish Compatibility 4 02-26-2008 01:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.