Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2011, 01:06 AM   #1 
Rhondabelle

Angry I think I'm the only employee who cares :(

So I work in a pet store. I know, I know, most pet store employees know jack about bettas (well fish in general), but I'm one of the rare ones who does (ask me a question about rodents though and I'll send you to one of the other employees). There was a family in today and one of the other employees got to them first. To make a long story short, they bought two bettas and didn't get any instruction on their care, no help with food etc. After they left I deliberately said "I bet those fish will be dead within the month" and the other employee actually said "I don't care they're just fish". I just about choked on my own saliva, I was absolutely disgusted.

I'm slowly taking over the fish section, and this afternoon asked my boss if I could do water changes twice a week on the bettas, and explained to him that in the little jars they're in they need at least twice weekly water changes. He said sure if we're not busy, probably knowing that I was going to go ahead and start doing it whether he said yes or no. He pretty much lets me do whatever I want anyway, but I figured I should probably pretend to get his permission

It's just frustrating to feel like I'm the only employee in the store who cares about the fish.
Rhondabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #2 
Luimeril

that totally sucks. :/ they're not "just fish". they're living creatures, who deserve respect and love, like any other creature in the store. you outta give your boss the heads up on that guy's attitude. :/ no many pet store managers want employees who are so.... cold about the things they sell.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #3 
Harley

Smile

Good for you! Its good to know that there are people in pet stores like you who actually care.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #4 
nowzem

Hmm, unfortunately, all most people (including pet store owners) care about is money. When I worked at the LFS 10 years ago, my manager was so crooked that whenever we had dead fish, we logged it, and when a new shipment came he claimed all the dead fish from the week before as fish that were DOA. Not only that but he charged like 80% more than what he paid for every fish in the store!
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #5 
caitic10

That's horrible! I went to a pet store once and was looking at all the jars when I noticed a sink beneath them with a net in it. I looked at the net and there were like five dead bettas. They just left them there! I was disgusted at how little they care for their fish. However, its nice to know that at least some employees do.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #6 
Neil D

*barfs* that's terrible! Poor guys/gals...:'-( I wanna work at my lfs(not permenently :p) but I'm only 13. Why do we humans think we are entitled to everything?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

THIS is why I want to take my camera to every LFS and Walmart that sells betta's to educate people and to get pictures and footage on the actual care. I was super irritated that the week before I got Maka the employee picked up her cup (I am convinced she is the same one) and said: "Well there's some medicine in there. See how it's kinda tinted blue?" It was clear but to prevent myself from giving her the tongue lashing of a life time. I'm pretty sure if I could my mother would have had to drag me out. Not to mention their molly tank? Totally exploded in breeding that they started carrying crabs as well....Coincidence? What sucks is they have a betta in with the cories and cardinals and it's a perfect community. They also have neons and I'm tempted to tell them that if they devided up a lone long part of the tank that more people would be interested instead of the bettas being in the dark and sick.

BTW I think you have full right to tell that co-worker that he might get in trouble if those people come back demanding a refund and claiming he sold them sick fish.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #8 
Burd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
Why do we humans think we are entitled to everything?
Because there's nothing to stop them from entitling themselves to everything they want when they have no morals or values. Greed and ignorance.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #9 
Neil D

But must we not care about the things we have entitled ourselves to?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #10 
JKfish

Good for you OP :) We need more caring LFS employees in this world.

At my Petsmart, they are in the tiny cups. They only clean them twice a week, and they always have mulm and stuff at the bottom. I've talked with the employees on several occasions, saying they need daily water changes.... they just don't care. I've given up trying to tell them about the water changes. Instead I sort through the bettas, find the sick ones that have been shoved in the back, bring them to an employee, and tell them what is wrong with the fish and how to treat the illness and that it'd be much more cost effective and easier just to do daily 100% water changes on the cups seeing as fresh water is an amazing preventative to illnesses.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote