Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #1 
Kiwimommy

Question on Betta care..

I'm new, so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place..
but I'm getting mixed messages from people on caring for my betta.
Some people are telling me that my new betta won't need a filter..actually, most are saying that.
Is it bad to put a filter in a tank with a betta?
Right now he's in a simple vase, but I want to make an aquarium with rocks, a filter, a plant and a few decorations (for looks, mainly)

I will be looking around the site for more info, but if anyone could clear this up for me I'd appreciate it :)
Kiwimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #2 
trono

Depends on the size of the tank. Without a filter you're looking at 100% water changes. With a filter, depending on the size of the tank, 50% maximum water changes.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. A filter isn't absolutely necessary but if you are going to put your betta in a larger, cycled tank then it would be necessary. I have my bettas in 1.5 and 2.5 gallon critter keepers and they're fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #4 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
The fish keeping hobby is as much of an art as it is a science. You will get what could/may seem as mixed messages in this hobby. In fish keeping people can use different methods to achieve similar/same results. By this I mean: some people use filters and cycle their tanks. Thus, less water changes. Some people do not use a filter and maintain their tanks by more frequent water changes. Different methods, same results: clean water through filtered/cycled tanks with water changes or clean water through non-filtered tanks with water changes. If you do decide to set up a larger tank with a filter, you may want to do some research on the filter/tank set up that you are looking at. Some people have found certain filters create problems with too much water flow/turbulance (at the water surface) and that creates problems with their Betta's swimming ability. There are many threads/posts about how to baffle a filter to slow down the water flow if you need to. Either way you decide to go (filtered/non-filtered), you will still need to maintain your Betta's well being through water changes. Good luck with your new found friend!!
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:09 AM   #5 
Harley

Welcome! As luvmybetta said, there's more than 1 way to do things. I personally started off with an unheated bowl. Once I saw this site and learned how important temperature is to bettas, how much they love to swim and how much of a pain semi daily water changes are, I upgraded to 10g heated, filtered tank. Its a nice change for you and your betta. Good luck!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote