Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2011, 02:08 AM   #1 
Slipstitch

I have ideas, but I'm inexperienced.

Okay, so 2 days ago, I got a blue male crowntail betta. He was being kept in about 2 inches(if that!) of water that was incredibly gross. It looked like bits of his fins were all over the bottom of the cup. I couldn't help it, I took him home.

I've noticed some oddities in his behavior as opposed to the red crowntail I was given yesterday and honestly, he's acting sick... He currently lives in a 2 gallon tank which I've been doing 25%-50% water changes for daily. I've treated his water with a conditioner and have provided light and warmth(not as warm as I'd like, but until I can get a better heating system, 76 is going to have to work). He sits near the surface in a corner of his tank pretty much constantly, yesterday every time I looked it was a different corner, today he seems to be addicted to just one. He wouldn't eat for almost 30 hrs after I got him, then he finally ate a pellet. His fins have stayed pretty limp with only random flaring when I stare at him for too long. His coloring is very much paled out(he was darker and deeper blue in the store, now he's almost grey). And I'm fairly certain he has fin rot(his fins had become very raggedy and in a couple spots have become discolored) or a minor case of it anyway. But his fins are still falling apart even after being removed from that stupid cup. Aside from that, I was staring at him and he excreted a thin, green cloud of something. I'm not sure if that's normal... I haven't noticed my other betta do that... Is he super sick or should I just treat him for fin rot and hope for the best?
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #2 
Canuck Fins

A 25-50% water change isn't going to clear out all the ammonia. I'm assuming it's not a cycled tank so you probably need to do 50% and 100% water changes. I'm not entirely sure how often. It's not unusual for a fish to not eat right after coming home from the fish store.

I'm sure someone more experienced will comment more specifically about the finrot.

Good luck!
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #3 
Slipstitch

Actually, Old Fish Lady just got back to me about my Bettas, so I'll post updates, but not as intensely worried.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #4 
Canuck Fins

Awesome! OldFishLady is an expert! :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #5 
Slipstitch

I'm following her orders quite literally to the letter
Old 02-22-2011, 03:01 AM   #6 
Slipstitch

Poseidon's picked up a good bit, he's swimming around all hyperlike with the feed me face and has actually eaten a little. ^_^
Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #7 
tsoto80

cfgreen cloud? Im interested to know what that was....
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #8 
Slipstitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoto80 View Post
cfgreen cloud? Im interested to know what that was....
Old Fish Lady thinks it may have been something he ate. I'm rather inclined to agree, as he hasn't done so since and has acted incredibly better since then. I'm still spazzing because he actually ate some last night. I want to see about getting him some live food though... He doesn't seem interested in food enough for my comfort.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #9 
tsoto80

So maybe something he ate upset his stomach?
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #10 
Slipstitch

That's the thoughtline. And one I'm totally willing to accept. He was a walmart fish. No telling what he ate there.