Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2011, 02:18 AM   #1 
c4talys7

Cool Tank finally cycled and filled up. Putting fish in tonight!

Ok well I'm really nervous about putting my two Bettas in my 14gal. I keep thinking what if the divider breaks or something. I know it's a really bad divider but I believe it will hold until I can get a better one or something. They don't sell dividers anywhere near me and it costs a lot to ship one from amazon.

Anyways, my tank finally finished cycling and I'm just waiting the last 20min to test the waters and then start acclimating the fish. I have a plastic bottle on the filter as a baffle and the temp is 80-82F. Is this okay for Bettas?

The water is treated with Tetra Aquasafe. I did not fill the top up all the way because the divider cannot reach the top.

Here's some pictures:

Here is Noche's half:

Here is Pepper's half:
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:24 AM   #2 
sjones

google diy dividers for aquarium

I made mine for pennies in minutes with craft mesh and those plastic folder spines along with aq sealant
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:28 AM   #3 
c4talys7

Yeah I saw the sticky one that but it takes time for the sealant to dry and stuff. I'm in Hawaii so shipping anything here costs twice as much as the product. None of the stores around me sell the spines. I'm going to be permanently dividing it when I get back to Oregon in May.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:29 AM   #4 
c4talys7

If I can find the spines I might just make one sealed into the spines but not into the tank.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:45 AM   #5 
c4talys7

Just did Nitrite, Ammonia, and Nitrate tests, zero everything.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:49 AM   #6 
c4talys7

And just wondering, anyone know how many water changes I should do, how much water to take out, ect.?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:57 AM   #7 
c4talys7

Also, for anyone who has seen my other threads asking why I had ammonia but nitrites at zero even after both spikes. It turns out I am not able to tell the 0.0ppm shade and the 0.25 shade of ammonia apart when they are in the test tube. I had two other people check it for me and did ammonia tests on fresh treated water along with the Bettas temp bin water. So it turns out the ammonia has been at zero for almost a week.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #8 
c4talys7

Ok, well both fish are in a exploring everywhere. Noche is a little more calm than Pepper I'm just worried that Pepper is over excited or something, I've never seen him actively swimming like this. He's not darting but swimming fast than usually. He keeps going in the the outflow of the filter and getting pushed down. Is this normal?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:59 AM   #9 
baylee767

Well Neon did that... I put him in the tank and one of the first things he did was go directly underneat the filter, where my baffle was pushing all the current. I guess they see their reflections better...?

For water changes, since it's cycled, once weekly 25% is good. You might get away with 10%...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:10 AM   #10 
c4talys7

Ok thanks for responding. Yeah he keeps swimming into the current despite the rest of the tank. I wrapped the intake with like 3 layers of panty hose and it hasn't effected the outflow. So there's just the plastic cup baffle on it. I'll do 25% weekly :)