Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2011, 05:36 AM   #1 
l n u n l

How should I care for an Elderly Betta ?

I've had my Betta fish for quite a long time. I think maybe somewhere near 3-4+ yrs. I've noticed that he's not as active anymore and he's often found asleep at the bottom. He does swim up for air or to nibble on food I give him but something tells me there's not much time left before he goes to swim in the River of Heaven. Is there anything I can do to make his remaining time comfortable and memorable so that he leaves us peacefully.
l n u n l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #2 
JaspersANGEL

Oh that is soo sad, I think it's everybody's goal to keep their Betta's alive that long.
Sorry I am no expert in elderly Betta's so I wouldn't know what to tell u except maybe to lower his water a bit so that it make's it easier for him to go up for air, and apart from that..just keep on what u are doing.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #3 
l n u n l

What touches me the most is it seems he's hanging on and wanting to live longer. I guess I take care of my Betta fish very well that they don't wanna leave you and hanging on til they no longer can. He's very elderly to the point where it seems he's got arthritis in his rear fin cuz he no longer swims as gracefully as he did. He's rather swimming stiff and struggling to swim around. But even though he makes his efforts to go up for air, still got an appetite, and staying alive. It's like he doesn't wanna go.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #4 
Goomba3

I agree with JaspersAngel. Lower the water level or perhaps get a betta log or hammock so he can float at the top and not have to swim so far for air. I'm glad you could keep your betta alive for that long! You must take extremely good care of your fish.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #5 
BlueHaven

Aww.....I hope the best for you two.
I would think lowering the water level like everyone else said would help him alot.
Warmer temperatures and very healthy foods.
But it sounds like you take really great care of him, so you probably already do this and what you already do is great.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:18 AM   #6 
scootshoot

Either lower the water level or add floating plant leaves on the surface so he can rest there and chill when he feels like. While mine is still active (bout 6 months owning him), there are times he wants to plant his body on the floating plant leaf during rest periods as all he needs to do is tilt his head up for air...

This was a pic of him I took last week. He rested on this plant for a good hour. The camera flash did get his attention soon after as he raced to the front looking for a meal

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  94.5 KB

Last edited by scootshoot; 02-24-2011 at 02:23 AM.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 AM   #7 
Goomba3

Haha, awww, cute Scoot! I can never catch mine resting in their plants like that.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #8 
l n u n l

*** update ***

My Betta Fish - Tako went to swim in Heaven's Stream on April 6th @ 9:45pm. I watched him take his last breath. Around 9pm I looked at tank ready to feed him when I noticed he was breathing quite hard *gills pumping fast* and he was starting to lay flat. Next thing I knew he took a last breath and he was gone. I cried and took a few days to mourn. But my fiance got me a *NEW* Betta and reassured me that it's okay cuz Tako is swimming strong and free in Heaven's Stream. He bought me a beautiful Delta-Tail with the most unique coloration I've seen yet in a Betta fish. Will post pictures soon. I named him Deltax. So R.I.P Tako you were a great friend for a long time. R.I.P Tako 2009-2011
Old 04-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #9 
luluo

I'm sorry for your loss.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #10 
Luimeril

aaww. D: i'm sorry you lost Tako, but you gave him a long, wonderful life.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote