Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #1 
keelybambi

Question API Bettafix question

Hello,

I haven't had a betta that has had some type of bacterial infection yet (a miracle to be sure) after caring for them for 5-6 years. I just got a male that had some white cotton fuzz at the bottom and figured he'd be fine with some new water since none was present on him yet. He's doing great still: eating, swimming, active. He's just got a spot of fuzz on one of his pectoral fins.

I was wondering how well bettafix worked and if it would harm my betta. I didn't have good results with the last betta medicine I used and it nearly killed my old betta. This time I figured I'd ask some opinions first before using it.

Thanks!
keelybambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #2 
bettafish15

Bettafix is a watered down version of melafix, which harms the organ bettas use to breath air from the surface, so it isnt good to use it very often.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #3 
keelybambi

So, what would be better to use (if anything) to make sure that the fuzz doesn't continue to grow. I haven't put him in his large tank that has been set up because I don't want to infect the tank. He's in a small little betta cup now until he gets better.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

I have had better luck with aquarium salt.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #5 
bettafish15

^ What she said. Maybe try doing 1 teaspoon a gallon of aquarium salt, pre mixed in another container for ten days? You need to do 100% water changes daily for that treatment, but because he's in what he came in you should be doing 100% daily on that size cup anyway. Do the salt treatment for no more than ten days :)
Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #6 
keelybambi

Ok, I'll go pick some up. I've been cleaning his water daily anyways in the cup. Thanks for the information. :)
Old 04-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelybambi View Post
Ok, I'll go pick some up. I've been cleaning his water daily anyways in the cup. Thanks for the information. :)
Remember that the container he came in probably isnt a gallon, so maybe do half (or less if the container is really small) a teaspoon rather than a full teaspoon. :D
Old 04-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #8 
keelybambi

I'm guessing it's maybe a quarter gallon tops, so I'm going to do a little less than a 1/4th of a teaspoon just to be safe. I think I'll add some of the aquarium salt to the rest of my tanks too. It's pretty good for a preventative for some common diseases right?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #9 
bettafish15

No, dont add it to other tanks. It should only be used when a fish is actually ill and in a quarantine container. It doesnt work as a preventative, the fish will get immune to the salt over time, so when you do need it, it wont help. Also, it simpy isnt good for the fish's body. That is why it's only used for a max of ten days.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #10 
keelybambi

Good to know, I hate all the conflicting messages from various people in fish stores. I have found most of the information on this site pretty good. Thanks again.

Tags
bettafix, medicine