Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #1 
Scandalicious

not doing well with betta ownership...what am i doing wrong?

just to recap:

i got a female (lulu) for my birthday...i followed all the suggestions on here (bigger tank, heater, thermometer, water conditioner, ph strips..the whole 9 and she died after 2 1/2 weeks. she wasn't eating at all. i'm not sure how she died but that really stunk.

fast forward to this week i brought another one (barry) and he died after 3 days! he seemed fine for the first 24 hrs. the next day i brought a decoration because i realized barry had no place to "hide" when he wanted to relax so i brought something from petco. after i placed the decoration in barry's tank his whole demeanor changed. i figured i'd give him 24hrs to adjust to the toy and if he still hated it i would removed. well after work on friday i saw he was in really bad shape and near death. there was nothing i could do. he died a hour after i found him

because i had him for barely 72hrs i was entitled to a refund from petco but i couldn't find my receipt for the fish so i had to take store credit. i was able to return the decoration since i had the receipt for that ( i brought them different days)

in both these instances the tank was clean, water was conditioned, water was the correct temp, water was the correct ph and so on but the fish died

i ended up getting another fish (jax) on friday and i brought new gravel for the tank, checked the water ph, conditioned the water, check the temp, acclimated him to the water as suggested on here and so far he is fine

i'm just trying to figure out what the heck is going on here. am i doing something wrong?
Scandalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandalicious View Post
just to recap:

i got a female (lulu) for my birthday...i followed all the suggestions on here (bigger tank, heater, thermometer, water conditioner, ph strips..the whole 9 and she died after 2 1/2 weeks. she wasn't eating at all. i'm not sure how she died but that really stunk.

fast forward to this week i brought another one (barry) and he died after 3 days! he seemed fine for the first 24 hrs. the next day i brought a decoration because i realized barry had no place to "hide" when he wanted to relax so i brought something from petco. after i placed the decoration in barry's tank his whole demeanor changed. i figured i'd give him 24hrs to adjust to the toy and if he still hated it i would removed. well after work on friday i saw he was in really bad shape and near death. there was nothing i could do. he died a hour after i found him

because i had him for barely 72hrs i was entitled to a refund from petco but i couldn't find my receipt for the fish so i had to take store credit. i was able to return the decoration since i had the receipt for that ( i brought them different days)

in both these instances the tank was clean, water was conditioned, water was the correct temp, water was the correct ph and so on but the fish died

i ended up getting another fish (jax) on friday and i brought new gravel for the tank, checked the water ph, conditioned the water, check the temp, acclimated him to the water as suggested on here and so far he is fine

i'm just trying to figure out what the heck is going on here. am i doing something wrong?
You might not be doing anything wrong. Sometimes fish just are sick, especially from chain stores.

Make sure your info is right:

Bettas need 76(low)-78(ideal)-82' water, constant!
Needs high protien food, at least 40%. Pellets max 4 a day, dont feed all at once.
Acclimation requires: Taking the fish into a cup with the old water, setting it aside, getting rid of the old water/siphoning, etc. Replace water, condition it, and wait for it to get to a comfortable temp. Bob fish in the water in cup for 5 minutes, after 5 add a tsp-tbsp of new water, keep doing 3 more times, do not bob for less than 15 minutes. Once finished, do not allow too much or any of the old water back in the tank.
Bettas do not do well in anything under 1 gallon. Your betta should have at least 2 gallons to live comfortably.
(What size tank do you have?)
Anything under .5 gallons needs either a 50% change(minimum) or a 100% change each day. A 100% every other is pushing it.
One gallons needs either a 50% change one day, 100% the next (minimum) or a 100 each day.
2 gallon to 2.5 gallon needs a 50% every other with a 100% sometime at minimum.
And so on.

I hope things work out for the new guy.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #3 
Scandalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
You might not be doing anything wrong. Sometimes fish just are sick, especially from chain stores.

Make sure your info is right:

Bettas need 76(low)-78(ideal)-82' water, constant!
Needs high protien food, at least 40%. Pellets max 4 a day, dont feed all at once.
Acclimation requires: Taking the fish into a cup with the old water, setting it aside, getting rid of the old water/siphoning, etc. Replace water, condition it, and wait for it to get to a comfortable temp. Bob fish in the water in cup for 5 minutes, after 5 add a tsp-tbsp of new water, keep doing 3 more times, do not bob for less than 15 minutes. Once finished, do not allow too much or any of the old water back in the tank.
Bettas do not do well in anything under 1 gallon. Your betta should have at least 2 gallons to live comfortably.
(What size tank do you have?)
Anything under .5 gallons needs either a 50% change(minimum) or a 100% change each day. A 100% every other is pushing it.
One gallons needs either a 50% change one day, 100% the next (minimum) or a 100 each day.
2 gallon to 2.5 gallon needs a 50% every other with a 100% sometime at minimum.
And so on.

I hope things work out for the new guy.
pewpew i did all that. i never got to change barry's water since he died before i could even do more with him

i ditched the filter after lulu died and when i attempted to use with with barry and i realize that he didnt like it.

so currently i have :
*2 gallon tank
*water is 78degrees
*i have pellets to feed them along with dried worms for a treat but i haven't tried to feed jax yet since i want him to settle down before i feed him
* only thing in the tank now is the heater, thermometer, a plastic plant and gravel.
*the ph strips report that the water is safe

jax seems happy but so did barry.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #4 
Pekemom

It makes us feel terrible and responsible when we lose fish like that - in spite of doing everything right. I lost two bettas as well before Brooke, and I've had her now for two and a half months. Sometimes you just have to keep tryng, like you have - and not give up.

Lots of good luck with Jax. I hope you figure out what the issues were with the fish you lost, but very likely, they were sick to begin with...
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #5 
Garth13

Have you checked all of your other levels, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites? They will test your water for free at Petco and Petsmart.

Just knowing the pH isn't going to give you the whole picture. I know I had two ob peacocks die (all other fish were fine) before I found out that my ammonia was through the roof.
Garth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #6 
Scandalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth13 View Post
Have you checked all of your other levels, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites? They will test your water for free at Petco and Petsmart.

Just knowing the pH isn't going to give you the whole picture. I know I had two ob peacocks die (all other fish were fine) before I found out that my ammonia was through the roof.
i have a test that checks all of those and the water is in the safe levels. i misspoke when i called them ph strips because they check 5 different things.

after i got barry out of the tank, i check the water using the strips and it was fine.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #7 
Luimeril

do you have test strips, or the liquid kind? i had ammonia strips, when i was having issues with my 10 gallon. the strips were saying the ammonia was just a little high, yet our fish kept dieing. when we took a water sample to the pet store, we found out our ammonia was LITERALLY, off the charts! it was so high, the test couldn't read it! if you have the strips, trash them and get at least the ammonia liquid test.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

^True dat~
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #9 
gbose

Scandali,

I had the exact same experience -- lost a betta on the second day and his replacement in hours...

I finally figured out my tank wasn't properly cycled. I thought it was, but... So I started over and cycled my tank again. My third betta is doing good in his 3rd week.

I'd suggest get liquid tests and confirm your tank is cycled. If not, start over ..

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:10 AM   #10 
roadrunner

You can buy Seachem Stability to help with cycling.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote