Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #11 
Vandroza

we've had ick before, in a different tank, so I know that's not what this is...

he's about 6 months old, and he is still eating, but without quite the same enthusiasm he normally shows.

For the 100% water changes, with the tank he's in, with the filter and the gravel and such, do I pull out as much as I can, or do I need to get all of it? (never had to do one with a full tank before, just a bowl when I was a kid...)

if the only occupants of the tank are the betta and a snail, do I still need to quarantine him? I've wondered that for a while-I understand doing it in a community tank, but that's not what we have for him...

last questions-for the salt, I have a 5 gallon tank, so I disolve 15tsp in the gallon of water, then use that as part of the water I'm adding back to the tank, right? and do I need to add more salt when I do the water changes? we've never used salt either...

Thank you so much for your help!
Vandroza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

It is best to QT in a small container...you don't want to treat in the main tank.......if you bought him in a small cup...these work great for QT....they are small enough to fit in the heated tank and float attached so it doesn't sink

If you have a 1gal jug like for milk or OJ...rinse it out and fill with dechlorinated water and add the salt 3tsp/gal...use this water for the water change.....the 100% daily water changes are really important part of the treatment.....you DO NOT want to treat in a large tank....a small QT so you can make water changes and watch the fish closely....this is only for 10 days.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #13 
Vandroza

ahh, I understand...I have to pick up some salt, since I doubt table salt or kosher salt would work and that's all we have in the house right now, but we'll get this started today! unfortunately we don't have the cup we got him in anymore, but we will either find something, or I'll pick something up when I get the salt. maybe they will have an extra one of those cups at the pet store from a betta who died before being purchased...

thank you for explaining that to me, I've wondered what the reasoning was behind quarantine for bettas who aren't in community tanks, and now I know! will the salt help with fin rot if he does have that too?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Sodium chloride is what you want...kosher salt, pickling salt are usually fine to use...check the label and make sure it doesn't have any anti-caking additives...these are what can make the fish sick.....

And yes, this should also help fin rot issues as well....

Anything will work for QT....something small enough to fit in the heated tank to float.....or you can even lower the water level and place a smaller glass jar with the fish in side the heated tank....part of the goal is to maintain heat, however, if your room temp stays in the 78-80F range you may not even need to float the QT container in the heated tank....your goal temp is 76-77F....with most bacterial issues you want to keep the water temp in the low normal range....this is to try and make conditions so that the bad bacteria are not happy and harder for them to multiply to a degree and yet still be high enough to keep the Betta safe.....a balancing act of sorts.....
Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #15 
Vandroza

we did the 30 minute changes last night, and now he's in a container with the treatment water and has been for bout 9 hours now (after the changes every 30 minutes). He's just sitting at the bottom of the container, and even moving the container doesn't make him do much-he seems to be struggling.

Should I go ahead and do another water change for him?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #16 
Oldfishlady

How do you mean struggling?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #17 
Vandroza

he's just sitting on the bottom of the container...

I've been using a net to help him to the top of the water every so often, but sh'll float to the top for a few minutes when I do that, then goes right back down to the bottom

I'm trying to get a decent picture of him again now-the color loss is almost all the way down his side now

Last edited by Vandroza; 02-23-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

I would do another water change and decrease the salt to 2tsp/gal-lower the water level so the Betta can get to the surface on its own...the less you mess with them the better other than the water changes......
Good luck and keep us posted....
Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #19 
Vandroza

pictures

as I did the water change I noticed that he now has significant loss on his dorsal fin and his side fins, so there's definately fin rot in there too...really hoping the salt water can help him out

Last edited by Vandroza; 02-23-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #20 
Oldfishlady

The earlier you catch and treat...the better the outcome with natural treatments like this....I don't use antibiotic- so I can't recommend anything....if he has not shown improvement within 3-4 days of this treatment you may want to start antibiotics that cover both gram negative and gram positive bacteria.....
Research Flexibacter columnaris and see if that fits what you see in your Betta....
good luck....