Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 76
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin flakes (I saw someone say that they don't like flakes but I reassure you that Zebo adores them)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, once in the morning and once at night.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every other day, the most between water changes is two days.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquasafe and Easy Balance

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: NA
Nitrite: Na
Nitrate: Na
pH: NA
Hardness: NA
Alkalinity: NA

I'll be getting a master test kit soon though.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins are looking worse
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms? His fins have always been kinda tattered looking since I got him (about two weeks now).
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately) No idea
Now that that is done. So Zebo's fins have never looked the best.However now they're starting to look worse, though for a few days they looked like they were getting better. His top fin looks to be curling and his tail fin looks like a chunk has been bitten off maybe?

Here you can see his top fin, it's now thinner almost clamped? but all his other fins are fine.

Can anyone help?
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #2 
Luimeril

if you can, try bumping up the heater to around 80F. for fin issues, i use Aquarium Salt to keep the wound cleaner, keep the water as clean as possible and warm, and if you have any Indian Almond Leaves(though, it's been suggested Dried Oak Leaves or even decaf Green Tea work just as fine), to help his fins grow back. i'd also bump up the water changes to full 100% until you can get a test kit(drops, not strips).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

It may be from the filter...in small tanks sometimes the filter is the cause of tattered fins especially with the long fin Betta....

I would try removing the filter and make 2-50% and 1-100% weekly water changes for a week and then 1-50% and 1-100% thereafter......
or
You could even QT in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank and do aquarium salt 1tsp/gal 10 day treatment along with 100% daily water changes...with or without tannins and then put him back in his tank without the filter for a while and see if you can tell the difference in the fins

Nutrition is really important for fin health too...it not so much that flakes are not eaten...but once they hit the water they leach the water soluble vitamins and nutrition.....same as with soaking pellets...you can loose all the good stuff in the food.....find a good pellet that is at least 45% protein and feed small frequent meals along with your flakes......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #4 
misamiania

I have a little tank, Rosso's in it right now waiting for my 5 gal tank to come in. Should I switch them? It'd be easier to do 100% water changes.

This is Rosso's tank.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Is there anything he could have gotten stuck on or his fins torn on? Regardless, I'd continue with frequent changes, if youre really ambitious 100% changes every day will help him heal.
He may also be bored and nipping, but the clean cut look doesn't seem to be consistent with tail biting. Keep him entertained, though, put interesting new thongs by the tank for him to admire :3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #6 
misamiania

It may be from the filter...in small tanks sometimes the filter is the cause of tattered fins especially with the long fin Betta.... I'll try that. His fins were already kinda shreaded looking, but I will try that.

I would try removing the filter and make 2-50% and 1-100% weekly water changes for a week and then 1-50% and 1-100% thereafter......
or
You could even QT in a small container that can be floated in the heated tank and do aquarium salt 1tsp/gal 10 day treatment along with 100% daily water changes...with or without tannins and then put him back in his tank without the filter for a while and see if you can tell the difference in the fins

I have a small quarantine tank that Rosso is in waiting for my 5 gal. He doesn't have a heater so could I take out the heater and put it in the quarantine? It automatically shuts off after reaching a certain temp in the water.

Nutrition is really important for fin health too...it not so much that flakes are not eaten...but once they hit the water they leach the water soluble vitamins and nutrition.....same as with soaking pellets...you can loose all the good stuff in the food.....find a good pellet that is at least 45% protein and feed small frequent meals along with your flakes......

I have some pellets but they're only 40% protein. Is that okay or should I look for the 45%?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Yes, that would work fine for QT and 100% water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal.....do you have any tannins.....naturally dried and fallen form the tree Oak leaf or Indian almond leaf....if so, add one of these to a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water along with the 1tsp/gal salt..let them steep..shake well before use....and use this pre-mixed treatment water for your 100% daily water changes for 10 days...keep your water temp stable in the 76-77F range for treatments.....

Edit...the pellets you have should be fine....
Old 02-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #8 
misamiania

Is there anything he could have gotten stuck on or his fins torn on?
No. His fin was already torn and such. It's the clamped/curled fin that I'm more worried about. Cause that's a recent development.

Regardless, I'd continue with frequent changes, if youre really ambitious 100% changes every day will help him heal.

He may also be bored and nipping, but the clean cut look doesn't seem to be consistent with tail biting. Keep him entertained, though, put interesting new thongs by the tank for him to admire :3

I'll try that. I may put him in my quarantine because it's on my desk so he has more interaction with me. i had wanted to put Rosso in my 5 gal but I'm thinking I'll put Zebo in it.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #9 
misamiania

Yes, that would work fine for QT and 100% water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal.....do you have any tannins.....naturally dried and fallen form the tree Oak leaf or Indian almond leaf....if so, add one of these to a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water along with the 1tsp/gal salt..let them steep..shake well before use....and use this pre-mixed treatment water for your 100% daily water changes for 10 days...keep your water temp stable in the 76-77F range for treatments.....

Someone mentioned decaf green tea... could I use that instead of the leaves? I know I can get the tea.

Would a higher temperature be okay? Or should I really work to have it 76-77?

Edit...the pellets you have should be fine....

thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Decaf green tea is great for the tanned water it will create...this alone can help stress related problems that in turn can help the fish immune response, however, high heat in the processing of the green tea can kill the antibacterial/fungal properties that raw oak or IAL contain.