Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #1 
elijahfeathers

Cycling questions (10 Gallon)

10 gallon. YAY TYPOS.

Okay so I've cleaned out my very, very neglected 10 gallon tank and gravel that I left behind. I'd like to get it up and running before I go out and get dividers.

I am wondering; If using gravel from an established tank, how long should the cycling process take? Do I still need an ammonia source for this?

I will have a filter running, but do I need a heater to go with it? I went and bought a second one for my sicker fish since they needed it, however I've only got two in the temp tanks and none for the big one until I'm go for moving fish in.

Once cycled, how ofter do I want to be changing water, and how much?

Thanks ahead of time guys.

Last edited by elijahfeathers; 02-25-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Typo in title.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #2 
JackisLost

gravel from a cycled tank will speed up cycling but there really isn't any guidelines about how long it will take, because tap water may be different from area to area as well as how porous the gravel is. My guess would be that filter media from an established tank to the new tank's filter would help it cycle faster (could be wrong, but i go filter media transfer before gravel; it's just my preference). i used to use my betta, buddy, as an ammonia source to start up my other tanks (because he is one tough guy!). now i have him in his own tank because he became one of my favorite fishie!! I don't think betta fishes need to go in a cycled tank, people been using betta's to cycle tanks :P
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote