Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? Currently 72, usually 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 pygmy cories, 3 ghost shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Currently Wardley pellets, and a few times a month, frozen bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? He's currently been fasted for 4 days, but usually I feed him 2 pellets in the morning and 1 at night.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Wednesdays and Fridays
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime conditioner and Aqueon plant food.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10 ppm
pH: 6.8
Hardness: 75 GH
Alkalinity: 40 KH

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Slightly raised scales over his abdomen. Can only see it when looking from behind.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About two hours ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have not yet begun treatment.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Constant bloating.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6 months-ish

Okay, it seems like I'm having a bad fish month.
I came back for the weekend, walked into my dorm room and went, "WOAH...it is freezing in here!" Apparently the heat got shut off. I rushed over to my tank and my trusty heater had been holding the water at 70 degrees as compared to the 55 degree room. Of course, I usually keep this tank at 80 so it's a dramatic change. All of my fish are gathered around the heater looking miserable. So, I crank the heat up in my room (just beginning to feel it) point a desk lamp that gives off a lot of heat at the tank, and check everyone over. The shrimp are completely fine, the cories are a little pale, but are starting to color up again, and Dory the betta is hungry. However, I am seeing a little bit of raised scale on him, and I'm wondering what to do.

Should I treat this as dropsy? He's always been bloated, even after four day fasts. Should I treat for parasites? What do you think?
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #2 
kelly528

I wouldn't treat as dropsy unless you see serious pineconing. Try switching the pellets... Wardley's isn't fantastic. Also, any possibility he is getting into Cory or shrimp food? That would bloat him up for sure.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #3 
Crazykat

I haven't been feeding him at all for the last 5 days, now, but I can switch pellets when I start up again. I don't think he's getting into the sinking food. I take him out when I feed them and vacuum it up before I put him back in.

I'm putting him in a two gallon jar with a heater so that I can monitor the poop situation and give him some salt. Fingers crossed, the salt solves the problem.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #4 
kelly528

Try epsom salt, not aquarium salt. Aquarium salt helps fish retain fluids; what you want is to lower his fluid retention.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #5 
Crazykat

Thanks kelly528, I've added two tsp of epsom salt to his jar. The raised scales are still mild, so I'm hopeful.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #6 
cjayBetta

Chewie has the same thing on him... Doesnt seem to be doing anything it just seems to be dmg.. Does it look like this? His are going away on their own.

cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #7 
Crazykat

It's like that, but mostly over his belly, which is full. No poop yet, but it's only been one day.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:26 AM   #8 
Crazykat

He has now pooped, but the raised scales are now all over his body. He's listless and won't accept food. I don't know what else to do, so I'm just keeping him in the Epsom salt, since it's the same treatment for dropsy, which this is looking more and more like.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:15 AM   #9 
karlhague

If its dropsy once you get to the pineconing stage < I'm afraid theres not a great deal you can but make your Betta more comfrotable, by lowering the water levels, keeping the temp up and reguar water changes to keep the water quality up
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #10 
Crazykat

I'm afraid you're right karlhague. I didn't catch it in time. Dory died in the night. :'( I can't help but wonder what the cause was. He only pigged out twice, and that was awhile ago and the bloating had gone down long since. Thank you all for your help, though. I think it made him more comfortable.