Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #11 
JKfish

YOu should be feeding 2-3 pellets (pre soaked before feeding) twice daily, with one whole day of a week dedicated to a "fasting day".

Bettas are opportunistic feeders. Their wild cousins honestly never know when their next meal is, so they gorge themselves. I guess it stayed with them all the way through domestication. Wheter or not they are hungry, bettas will search for food and beg. But don't worry, so long as you are feeding correctly, he should be fine.

He is bloated, I would fast him a day then decrease to two pellets twice daily.

Last edited by JKfish; 02-26-2011 at 08:42 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #12 
neocharles

so say suddenly my betta is WAY bloated.... I think he ate some food that was on the bottom, plus his dinner, and BAM blew up huge... :-\

Will he be okay?? Is there anything I can do in the mean time, besides just fast him for a day or two? (he's still swimming at least...)

Should link to a larger picture

Last edited by neocharles; 03-02-2011 at 07:12 PM.
neocharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #13 
JKfish

fast him well. Make sure when you are done feeding that you remove any and all extra food. extra food that lays on the bottom will eventually decompose and create ammonia or become moldy.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #14 
neocharles

I had been doing a mix of pellets and frozen blood worms, which has been going well. I bought this 4-type variety pack, so I went for a different type tonight, and I guess maybe there was a lot in there or something, I don't know. I feel bad :(
Old 03-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #15 
JKfish

Don't worry. With a bit of fasting he'll be fine... how much of the block did you feed him?
Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #16 
neocharles

swirled it around in water a bit. They were little whiteish clearish things... I assume brine shrimp, as I have never seen them before, but I could be wrong. I am not sure how many there were.

If these were brine shrimp (much smaller than the 3-4 blood worms I usually do), how many would you sugest?

And thank you for reassuring that my betta will be okay... I am working on a tropical tank for other fish and they keep dying :( not having any luck at all with that - i don't want to loose my betta!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #17 
JKfish

I don't know, but make sure you only shave off small portions. The portions of my bloodworm blocks I shave off are really tiny, but typically more than enough to feed one betta. I would hazard a guess at maybe 4-5 seeing as I read growing fry can eat 2-3 bbs in a meal.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #18 
JaspersANGEL

My Bypass is also bloated at the moment, he decided that the algea or whatever build-up on the thermometer suction cup was good food, so BAM! He found himself swimming sideway's.

In my opinion the best way to deal with bloat is to fast them, let them be and hope for the best.
But then again I'm no Betta expert, I never had any serious cases..not that ur case is serious..just saying!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #19 
neocharles

It's actuallly gone down some already.... but there's still a decent bump~
Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #20 
JaspersANGEL

That's good to hear!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote