Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Filter making weird noise and white worms in tank

This morning when I woke up and was getting ready todo a water change on my 5 gallon I noticed my filter is making a somewhat loud gurgling/grinding sound! The water is still going in and coming out, it is just sort of noisy! does this mean it is about to break? should I go get anew one today before it completly stops working?

ALSO I noticed that there are white worms in my tank, tried to take a photo but they're kind of small, probably 1/2 inch and they usually hang out against the glass.What could they be? Will putting an anti parasite tab in my tank get rid of these?
I'm about to give up on live plant all together. All the fish stores near me keep giving my tank some sort of weird creature with their plants...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It just means your tank is alive.....you don't want to create a sterile environment...its not healthy.......with that said...its still a closed system...and we have to balance everything.......the worms are most likely planaria and harmless...usually fish will feed on them...

Your filter-depending on what type it is....it may have something in the impeller area...like sand, gravel, snail.... anything.....most filters you can tear them down and get to the impeller area and clean them out....I have to do this on a regular basis with mine due to all the snails I have...I had one that was bound up with a long human hair once.....easy to fix usually.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

I do have a sand substrate in my tank, maybe that is what's going on... I will try to take it apart sometime today and clean it out.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #4 
Pekemom

Did you break down your filter, LittleBittyFish? I just had to do that to mine, get to the impeller and clean it out. I was having trouble re-starting my filter after cleaning. I didn't really find anything but it was a good exercise just learning how to take it apart and put it back together.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

An hour or so after I made this post..it stopped making that noisy sound, So I just left it alone for now. I plan on moving my fish into a 10 gallon soon, and I'll have to take down the 5 gallon so I plan on cleaning out the filter while i'm doing that.

....unless I can find somewhere else in the house to put the 5 gallon..and get another fish...