Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #1 
elijahfeathers

Need to transfer bettas via bus.

Run into a bit of a problem with the place I'm staying at. I will either have to leave my two male bettas behind, or transfer them with me on a bus on a roughly 24 hour trip.

I am wondering if anyone knows anything acceptable to transport them in. I was thinking perhaps gatoraid bottles since they have very wide tops and I think I could get my boys inside a pair without a problem. Also, the screw-on cap is appealing. Also with a container that can be tightly sealed, I can keep them in my pockets, and hopeflly a bit warmer than they'd be otherwise. :C
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

What about in tupperware containers? I had to take a bus trip and bought some cheapish tupperware and smashed holes in the tops for air and was able to keep them warm by having them in my lap :c
I think the gatorade thing might be okay, I think I know the bottle you mean.. Make sure its crrazzyyy clean, though, of course. You wont be able to keep it closed all the time, though- remember that! Maybe, if you can, get 4 caps, 2 unholed and 2 with a hole or two, so when youre able to just have them, you can allow them easy access to air from the holes.

You can also bag them and keep them again in a single, larger tupperware container, with seperate baggies of course- and put like a paper towel in between the bags so they dont see eachother. Again, make sure the bags are opened once in a while to allow air in. They can be kept warm in your lap- I took a long car trip with no heat (BRRRR! D:) and managed to keep my two boys (in their cups, about 1.5 in of water) at a balmy 76-78' with just my...er..lap warmth! XD

Good luckkkk.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #3 
kelly528

You can insulate the containers with newspaper too.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

Remember air is more important than water for a betta so it's better to cover them with water and leave the rest of the bottles empty. You don't have to poke holes... just uncap every few hours to let new air in.
Also, it would be better if you put them in a box or bag that will keep them in the dark, the'll be more relaxed that way.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #5 
BlackberryBetta

I would put them in sealed bags in a tupperwear container that is not see-through so they don't totally freak out. Also, you can buy little heat packs that come in packs of 2 so you could put 1 in each container.

You should maybe wrap them in a small cloth or paper towel so they don't get too hot. For air, all you really need to do is blow in it and make it nice and full of air, then just give them some more every few hours. You could also put cloths around the bags in the containers for a smoother ride. Sorry this might not make much sense, it is hard to explain. I have never transported bettas before but this is how I would do it. I hope I helped. Keep us posted on which method you choose!
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #6 
wildmagic713

Whatever you do, DO NOT blow air in them.

They breathe oxygen like us.

We breathe out carbon dioxide. That is NOT what they need, so it won't do them any good. It doesn't give them any oxygen.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #7 
BlackberryBetta

Oh sorry....I wasn't thinking. *Face goes red* I'm so embarassed! lol!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #8 
vilmarisv

vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #9 
BlackberryBetta

What???
Old 02-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #10 
wildmagic713

Haha I do that all the time :P

I type something when I'm not thinking. Someone corrects me. I go back and look and it.

And then I *facepalm*
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote