Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #1 
thissideofparadise

Is there something wrong with my betta fish

im not sure if you can see it well, but he has black stuff in between his scales and at the base of his fins... his fins are also getting browner. overall he just looks like hes getting dirtier? I dont know what i can do about it. is it normal?

ive never had a betta fish before so i really dont know much haha.
thissideofparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum......to me it looks like normal pigment...but to be sure...a few questions...

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite, type and how much food.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #3 
thissideofparadise

he lives in a 1.5 gallon tank and i change the water every week or so.
he doesnt have a filter, should he? and i have one plastic plant... the water i use is bottled water cause im not sure how to treat the tap water and i feed him once a day
Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

In the 1.5gal unfiltered tank I would increase the water changes to 1-50% and 1-100% a week to maintain water quality

No, you don't have to have or need a filter...but you do need a heater and thermometer to maintain a stable water temp in the 76-80F range

Its better to use tap water with a dechlorinator....the bottle water can lack the minerals needed for good health and it can get expensive too....get a good dechlorinater like Prime...easy to use......

You have a lovely Betta by the way....
Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #5 
thissideofparadise

oh thanks :)
! do you know where i can get the stuff for the water?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Just about any pet shop will have it and even walmart type stores or stores that sell fish supplies will have it....if you can't find prime...look for one that covers...chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals.....
Old 02-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Topfin, Tetra, API and many other brands make them, and most are very similar, so you really cant go wrong. Like OFL said, it needs to treat for those things :D
My only real suggestion is finding one that makes it easy for you to measure- like, dont get a thing that needs 1 drop for every 20gallons! LOL! That'd be a pain to measure. I had a 1.5 and like to use these two things because I was able to get the measurement by drops just right :D Theyre pretty cheap, too!
Great, cheap and easy to get at walmart!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Start-Righ...ioner/14122473

This is what I use, but I dont have this size:
http://www.petworldshop.com/pictures...onditioner.jpg

These work ok, but I dont recommend them as compared to liqiud conditioner- but if you cant find anything else:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bowl-Buddi...ioner/14122475

Btw, maybe try looking for more plants for your boy to explore in, just make sure theyre not sharp and wont tear those pretty fins of his :3

He's a cellophane, and maybe (??) a delta. I cant tell :B
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #8 
thissideofparadise

haha alright i think ill get some of that for the next time i clean out his cage. Would i have to slowly change the water to conditioned tap? because hes been going off bottled for two months now..

and hes a delta betta :)
hes so energetic! he always swims around haha
Old 02-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

Im not sure, I guess you could do it 50/50. But as long as you acclimate properly I see no issue..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #10 
Luimeril

looks like what i've heard referred to as a "pineapple". my Chappy Belle has those same black specks, as did my first and only yellow betta, Gackt(RIP, my pretty boy). it's perfectly normal, perfectly healthy, and quite pretty on your boy. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, scales, stuff