Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2011, 04:33 AM   #1 
germanchick09

new tank buddies

hey everyone...its been a while since ive been on here...i finally got me a big 10gal tank. set it up yesterday and my halfmoon plakate betta Kane loves it. today i went to get a heater for it. its a cozy nice 78 degrees. i saw the albino cories they had at the store. looked at my change and thought well i can get two. i put them in with Kane a littel while ago. they are getting along great. no worries people im going to get 2 more cories tomorrow. just didnt have enough cash on me today. does any one have any other ideas on what other fish i can introduce? i dont want alot of fish but maybe a few...dont wanna over fill it.
Attached Images

germanchick09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #2 
turtle10

I suggest getting sand for your cories. It is prefered because cories like to dig through the sand. When I was going to get cories for my 10g (never did because my betta is a you-know-what) I was going to take a section of the gravel out and have a little sand area in the corner for them to play in. There is a little area on the right side of your tank where you don't have decorations, you could put some there.

Oh also make sure to keep an eye on your water parameters because cories are sensitive and it is generally recommended to only introduce them into a cycled tank. If your tank is already cycled, then nevermind!
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #3 
germanchick09

thanks for the tip turtle. ill add some sand on my next water change. i bought 2 more cories today...they are loving it.
germanchick09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #4 
karlhague

My Corys have always thrived with gravel tanks..
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #5 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhague View Post
My Corys have always thrived with gravel tanks..
I wasn't saying gravel was bad, sand is just the preferred substrate for cories. Cories are always around the bottom and sifting around, sand is soft and much gentler on them.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Gravel is fine for cories as long as it doesn't have sharp edges. Sand is better though because it won't hurt their barbels.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote