Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #1 
SkyBlue

Talking Sky Blue's new home...

Hello Everyone!
I have been "stalking" the boards for about a week or so, and have learned SO much!!! Thank You All!!!
History: Started with 4 goldfish about 3 years ago......Dirty little guys! All died one by one...
Waited about 6 months, and got a Male VT....was red, blue and purple, his name was Tye-Dye.....Ty for short.....Ty ended up with a messed up swim bladder, and being a newbie, had no CLUE that there are meds for such things....Sadly, Ty died.... He was such a cool little fish, and we had him for about 10 months.....I still miss his cool little personality.
So fast Forward to last Tuesday...I still had the set up from the previous souls, and my son has been begging us for a cat or dog...(not possible right now).
So, Betta's are pretty easy to care for, (I thought) and we were off to get a Beta fish for him!
We picked out "Sky Blue" a Male CT, and brought him home! My son was UBER excited!!!
I had him in the same 1.6 gallon tank we had originally bought for the goldfish...(didn't know then about the 1 fish per gallon rule...)
So, we got him set up, (no heater, no filter) Boiled all the old stuff we had, and rinsed the old tank really well with HOT water!
Sky Blue wouldn't eat, was really lethargic, and I had to change his water 2 x's from Tuesday to Sunday! Yikes!!! It was making me so sad.....(and him too I'm sure!)
I am happy to say, that by reading these boards, Sky Blue is now the proud, and EXTREMELY happy owner of his NEW 10 gallon tank, complete with heater, bubble bar, filter, new silk plants, and thermometer!! He swims all over the place, stretching his fins, and finally ate last night when we got him in his new tank......Bloodworms.....Yummy!( Betamin flakes too!)
I just read the thread on the baffle, and will def. be making something, since the filter that came in the "kit" blows him all over!
I'm so sad that I was so ignorant in the beginning. It's really true, you should DEF. do your research FIRST! (I will never again listen to people that work in Pet store's....)The guy I talked to yesterday was trying to tell me to only feed Sky once a week? And they are OK in a small bowl, and don't need a heater.......Needless to say, Sky and myself, are MUCH happier NOT listening to that guy! I went with my gut!
Thanks Again Everyone!!!!!
Below are some pics.....The first one is Sky when we first got him in old tank..The second on is the old sad 1.6 gallon tank. The third is Sky's new home, and the last one is HAPPY SKY!
Attached Images

SkyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #2 
BlueHaven

Aww, he's pretty! And cute, C:
Is his fins (the end fin) okay though? Just wondering because the way he is swimming it looks a little small.
I hope I don't sound rude, don't mean to be.
I mean to say, since crowntails have those spikey fins, the spikey part can shorten sometimes due to various issues. That is why I asked.

Do you know about cycling? If you have a filter, the tank will cycle. Since you have your betta a good conditioner for the water is Prime as it gets rid of harmful ammonia/nitrites/nitrates from the cycle. That will keep your fish safer, that and frequent water changes of course.

That is great you learned and got your new betta a better home. I wouldn't doubt him being happy with it!
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #3 
fishman12

Congrats on the upgrade! Glad that Sky is happy
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #4 
Pekemom

You certainly are a quick learner and Sky is a happy happy betta. The newest tank looks great and Sky is lucky to have a conscientious Mom like you!! Lot of good luck with him!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #5 
SkyBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHaven View Post
Aww, he's pretty! And cute, C:
Is his fins (the end fin) okay though? Just wondering because the way he is swimming it looks a little small.
I hope I don't sound rude, don't mean to be.
I mean to say, since crowntails have those spikey fins, the spikey part can shorten sometimes due to various issues. That is why I asked.

Do you know about cycling? If you have a filter, the tank will cycle. Since you have your betta a good conditioner for the water is Prime as it gets rid of harmful ammonia/nitrites/nitrates from the cycle. That will keep your fish safer, that and frequent water changes of course.

That is great you learned and got your new betta a better home. I wouldn't doubt him being happy with it!
I dunno...When I have seen him flare, it seems to be OK, (not missing anything) and he swims fine....(like crazy now!!) You don't sound rude in the least! I got Aqueon's Water conditioner....I didn't cycle the tank, because I thought you only had to do that with real plants.....(sorry, beginner duh moment...) Do you think he'll be OK? I bought a "Basic 10 gallon kit" at Petco. It came with a HUGE filter, (that I had to baffle) a hood with 2 lights, and the tank.
My husband said "I can't believe you got all of that for ONE fish....."
I believe if you take on a pet, no matter how big or how small, furry or with scales, you give that pet the best life you can.....It didn't choose you, you chose it....
I just wish I hadn't been so ignorant...I'm sure I will have some more duh moments as I go, but I am trying!!!..I am spreading the word to all of my friends who have Bettas as well!!! :)
Thanks everyone for the comments!
B
Old 02-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #6 
turtle10

Hmmm his fins do look a bit short for his body size. Maybe he had fin rot before she got him.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #7 
SkyBlue

Yea, I have been looking at him, and I am thinking more and more that that is what he has....I swear is tail fin is even shorter today than it was yesterday! I will try to get another pic of him today and post......
I just read an article saying I could put UN iodized salt in a pinch, until I can get to the store to get the other stuff.....Is that true? His water is pristine, I wonder if he got too stressed by getting his new home? (Read somewhere else that that can cause it?) HELP!

Last edited by SkyBlue; 02-23-2011 at 01:19 PM. Reason: forgot something...
Old 02-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #8 
SkyBlue

Just noticed in the pic, there are black spots at the end of his fins.......that's a symptom, right? Dangit, I thought it was just his coloring......:(
Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #9 
SkyBlue

Hmmm, trying to figure this site out..sorry..

Last edited by SkyBlue; 02-23-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #10 
Littlebittyfish

if it is fin rot, He should heal up nicely as long as you provide a good amount of water changes and his water is heated.If his fins continue to get shorter, you can try aquarium salt. My fish...after accidentally falling on the floor (my nephew knocked over his tank) He got a really stubborn case of finrot, aquarium salt and 2 weeks in quarantine did nothing, I treated his tank with maracyn two and he now has a little bit of white regrowth going on. Of course, Medication is a last resort, I would try the aquarium salt first.

He is beautiful!
Is it the cameras coloring or does he really have a green hue to him?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote