Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #1 
Melbell

Unhappy What is wrong with my fish?

A week and a half ago, my fish started biting his tail (I'm pretty sure it is tail biting because there are nice clean chunks out of his tail, and it doesn't look like pictures I have seen of fin rot). To try to stop the tail biting (if it is actually tail biting), I have been feeding him a tiny bit more and trying to entertain him (making him flare, putting a ping pong ball in the tank, putting different things outside of the tank). Yesterday, his tail didn't look like it had anymore damage to it, and everything else on him looked totally normal. But today when I checked on him, his tail looked worse, and his right ventral fin was torn in half. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and I'm really worried about it... There isn't anything in the tank that could cut him, so I'm really confused... Please help!

Tail
Name:  DSCN1198.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  137.5 KB

Ventral Fin
Name:  DSCN1201.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  110.2 KB
Melbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Tail biting can be so frustrating and finding the trigger can be impossible sometimes....if they even have a trigger.....it is hard for me to tell by the pic is that is what is going on or not....but if that is what you think is going on...I trust that statement.....Have few questions.....

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, additives used, filter, live plants, food and feeding schedule.....what all have you tried and treatments if any....also how long have you had him.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #3 
Melbell

The tank is 1.5 gallons (I want to get a larger one, but I don't have the space or money right now to do so). He had a filter for a long time, but it broke a few days ago--because of that I have been doing 50% water changes every other day. Water temp is around 74-ish degrees. I only add Aqueon dechlorinator to his water. There are no live plants--just silk ones and one soft plastic one. I give him 2 pellets in the morning, and 2 or three at night. I have not tried any treatments yet, and I have had him for about two months.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

The 1.5gal tank is just fine...even unfiltered....sometimes the filter itself can be part of the problem with some Bettas.....however, I would increase your water changes.....it needs...1-50% and 1-100% a week to maintain water quality....you also need to increase the water temp a tiny bit to at least 76F...

Right now I would start making 50% daily water changes for 3 days and then 100%.....then get on a regular schedule of 1-50 and 1-100% weekly thereafter.....if his fins look to have fin rot starting and the improved water quality doesn't help.....you may need to start him on a 10 day aquarium salt 1tsp/gal treatment along with 100% daily water changes

With tail biters it is important to prevent secondary infection by improved water quality from more frequent water changes....

Nutrition is also important.....I would get at least two-three different types of pellets to feed-they don't have to be just for Bettas....they have lots of different types of pellets for meat eating fish that will work just fine....buy the best quality in the smallest container that you can...often this is skimped on....cheaper is not always better especially when an animal depends 100% on everything life sustaining from us......

Its also a good idea to write on the fish food label the date it was opened and throw it away and buy fresh within a year.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #5 
Melbell

Mmkay. Thank you so much! I'll start following your advice right away!