Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #1 
misamiania

Cycling with previously established tank water

How do I go about this? What's the difference from scratch and water from an established tank?

I couldn't really find anything anywhere else but if it is posted somewhere else a link would be awesome. Unless you're willing to rewrite it ^^
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

When you seed a new tank from a healthy established tank...you want to use some of the top layer of gravel and a piece of the filter media from the healthy established tank....not the water......the water will have some beneficial bacteria but not enough to matter......the bacteria you want are sticking and adhere to everything inside the tank, in the top layer of substrate and in the filter media......

Another good way to seed a new tank is to put the new tanks filter on the healthy established tank for a couple of weeks to seed the filter media or just the filter media stuck in the healthy established tank filter box if there is room for it.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #3 
misamiania

ooo ok. Sweet. I doubt the filter I'll be able to do because I have no idea what filter is coming with my new tank which kind of sucks.

I have a little whisper filter and new cartridge... could I put that in the established tank? Would that work? I won't be getting my tank in for another 5 to 7 days.

I can definitely do the gravel though. Does it matter how much?
Old 02-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It depends on the tank size....what size tanks are we talking about....
Old 02-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #5 
misamiania

She has a ten gallon tank. There's two gold fish, a bottom feeder and some other little algae eaters. Would that be okay? I never read anywhere where it said it should be the same species...
Old 02-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Personally...I wouldn't use anything from that tank....its a disaster waiting to happen.......poorly stocked in too small a tank and cold and tropical species mixed in the same tank....could end up with some real nasties in your tank.....

Also, what size tank are you wanting to cycle
Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #7 
misamiania

I have a 5 gallon.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

On a 5gal filtered tank with one Betta....you could establish the nitrogen cycle with the fish without any problems...provided that you make the needed water changes....