Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #1 
wildmagic713

I need help convincing my mom- anyone who can come up with a good argument, help!

So.... Mister Fishy died last night :(

And I want to divide up his old tank (I was planning on it whether he was an occupant or not).

It's 10 gallons. I have the filter, heater, thermometer, gravel, everything I need for it. I have to replace the filter cartridge and baffle (I will this weekend, and then I'll cycle the tank before I put fish in).

She doesn't want me to get another Betta. She'll let me, but she doesn't want me to.

She wants me to use my old 5 gallon hex, and only get one Betta. My dad is all for me dividing up the tank. His attitude is "If I'm not responsible for cleaning it, you can have as many fish as you want."

So how do I persuade her to let me buy two Bettas? I really like them a lot. I keep up with the upkeep (It's not like it was any different than it was for just one fish, it's big enough that I only have to do a 50% once a week with the filter).

Thank youuuu :)
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #2 
Luimeril

tell her, it's your choice, and you'll be the one cleaning it and caring for the fish, not her. :d that works with my mom.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #3 
wildmagic713

Even then she won't want me to- it's more about money than anything. My old Betta was sick once, plus I had to buy the tank and everything, so in the long run he probably cost me about $125. She thinks that will happen again even though I already have everything I need besides the divider and I'm going to make one of those by hand.

Even though it was MY money she thinks it's ridiculous for me to spend it on fish.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #4 
wildmagic713

Anyoneeeee elseeeeeee?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #5 
kathstew

Hi! This is my first post :D
Sorry about your loss. I am sure Mr. Fishy was a beautiful fish.
To convince your mom, I would explain the joy you had with Mr.Fishy. Explain to her why you love owning fish. For me, I find watching my fish swim therapeutic. It is so calming watching the fish swim around and play with eachother.
Show her a list of the things needed to house fish, and then show her that you already have all of it.
Show her the beauty in bettas with pictures and maybe some videos from youtube. Remind her the cost of betta fish are relatively cheap, and that you will be paying for everything yourself.
As you mentioned above, she isn't denying you the fish, she just doesn't WANT you to get them. I was in a similar position with my fish. Even though my mom didn't want me to get fish, I bought two anyway. She seems to like watching them as much as I do.
Good Luck!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #6 
wildmagic713

*sigh* I suppose :P

I mean, the worst that can happen is I bring them home and set it up and she notices, freaks out and is mad for a few days, and then resigns herself to it :P

I'm going to talk to my dad, see if he knows how to convince her :P
Old 02-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #7 
wildmagic713

YESSSS!

As long as I don't get them till spring break (AKA three weeks) I'm good. She doesn't want me to get them now, but my dad is perfectly fine with it (I haven't mentioned I'm getting two yet to her :P) and as long as he's on my side I'm good. She'll get mad and yell at me and then he'll tell her it's up to me.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #8 
kathstew

Congrats! I'm really happy for you!
Thank goodness for easy-going dads, huh!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #9 
wildmagic713

Yep :) Well, his attitude is just "If I don't have to do anything, you can have whatever you want."
Old 02-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #10 
kathstew

Hahaha. That's my dad too. XD