Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2011, 12:19 AM   #31 
appledust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverStoneBetta View Post
I live in outside of Pacific/Eureka. I haven't been to the Crestwood PetCo yet. But I strongly advise you to steer clear of the Petsmart in Sunset Hills. I bought a school of neon tetras two days ago to add to my betta, Flynn's, tank. As of right now, I have to sterilize the whole tank because everyone was wiped out by a columnaris infection that wasn't present before.
It's funny that you say that :\ I've only had two bettas pass away out of all the ones I've had so far (mentioned first one earlier) and under a month ago my favorite fish Brutus passed away. He was from that Petsmart, and based on pictures from when I first got him I think he had some sort of problem I didn't realize. I keep seeing slight popeye.

(Not that they keep their bettas with tetras, but yeah. Unfortunate coincidence!)

Last edited by appledust; 02-23-2011 at 12:24 AM.
appledust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #32 
RiverStoneBetta

I've had that coincidence everytime I go. Nothing about that store is good. Most of their bettas don't even get enough light. I've never bought bettas from there, but several of my friends have in the past, and they've all died within a week from no fault of their own.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #33 
Slipstitch

Btw the betta I rescued from the Petsmart of doom is still alive and kicking and is starting to show some interesting colors about him. Still haven't figured out a name, wating to see how he turns out.
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #34 
LolaQuigs

Since there are obviously some fish people in the St. Louis area, why are the few local fish and pet stores we have all going out of business? It made me so sad when I found out Beldts closed in December, and Pet Market Place is closing next month. I really hate the chain stores, but that's pretty much all we have left!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:47 AM   #35 
Slipstitch

Prolly the same reason everything else is. :/
Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #36 
LolaQuigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstitch View Post
Btw the betta I rescued from the Petsmart of doom is still alive and kicking and is starting to show some interesting colors about him. Still haven't figured out a name, wating to see how he turns out.
I'm glad he's starting to feel better. I rescued a betta from the Chesterfield Petco a week and a half ago. That store is sometimes great and sometimes bad, you never know what you're going to get. My guy is doing well and just moved from qt to his new 2.5 gallon tank. Hopefully yours makes a speedy, fill recovery!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #37 
Slipstitch

Btw, when I went back for him, I talked to the shift manager... She mentioned something along the lines of "normally the fish we get aren't that terrible... I'll check it out" which makes me wonder... Where do they get their fish?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #38 
LolaQuigs

That's a good question, I wonder that too. I like how she tried to blame the supplier rather than taking responsibility for her store's conditions. Good for you for talking to someone about though. Voicing your concerns may or may not do something, but silence will definitely do nothing.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #39 
RiverStoneBetta

I'm already composing a letter to the manager there, complete with documentation.

And according to family friends, there still are LFS still open, but they're hole-in-the-wall places. I'm going to check out an old store we used to go to in Ellisville to see if it's still around. I used to live in Jefferson City area and there was a fish store called CJ's Pets. He took very good care of his bettas, and his shop was sparkly clean.

CJ had some HUGE plecos and oscars in there. One of his wall tanks had to be close to 200 gallons. He had a black ghost knifefish on display sometimes, but that was his personal baby, so it wasn't for sale.

EDIT: I'm going to be running around the area, and I'll post or send messages to you two (SlipStitch and LolaQuigs) with their addresses and whether or not they are worth it, if you want.

Last edited by RiverStoneBetta; 02-23-2011 at 08:59 AM.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #40 
LolaQuigs

All I know of are two AquaWorlds (one is in Ellisville...maybe that's the one you're thinking of) and Tropical World Pets. Pet Marketplace had a great fish section, I'm sad to see it go. There is also Malawi but that's just for cichlids, and there are a few good marine stores. But there are hardly any places that I know of that have a good selection of freshwater community fish now.

CJs sounds great, too bad it's so far. Definitely PM me and let me know if you come across any stores other than the ones I mentioned; I'd love to find more fish stores around here!