Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #1 
Ariel1719

10 gal question

So i have a 10gal tank that is currently sitting in my basement collecting dust. The reason i stopped using it was because Bacardi didn't like it at all and preferred his 2.5 gal. Now that he has passed (RIP) I feel like I want to start it up again, but i have no room in my bedroom anymore. The only place i have space for and my parents wont mind is my heated,finished basement. The only thing with me setting up my tank downstairs is that there is no sink near by. Meaning water changes and cleaning would be a HUGE hassle. Is it still do-able? How would i trek the water up to the main floor? Would I ever do a 100% water change? If its not do-able Im just going to get another 2.5 (which will fit in my room) for my new guy from AB.
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #2 
bloo97

You could take buckets of water there.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #3 
Abby

or a hose. my bf fills his 33.7 gal reef tank (its still being set up theres NOTHING in it, just fresh water to get the stand to settle) via dragging the out door garden hose in and i turn the water on and off when needed he fills the 33. gal then the 2 foot sump needs filling as well. usually takes about ten minutes for hose pull out water on and both tanks filled water off and hose roll up.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #4 
Ariel1719

A hose seems really hard and alot more work for a little 10gal... I could do buckets and i guess i could use one of my 1gals and take it out and empty it and fill it back up. lots of up and down but it could be done..
Old 02-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #5 
bloo97

Or if you have a large storage bin you could use that. :)
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #6 
wildmagic713

I mean, I have a 10 gallon and I'm right next to the bathroom, but I use a 5 gallon bucket :P I usually only do 50% changes if that, usually between 25 and 50%. Just use a gravel hose. And since I can't carry that to the bathroom without it spilling I scoop out like 2 gallons worth of water with a 1 gallon fishbowl and dump them out and then I take the bucket in.

Same deal for filling it. I fill the bucket up, leave it in the bathtub until I've put about 2 gallons in the tank using the bowl, and then I bring the bucket in.

It's not that hard at all. When I do a 100% (Which is only after an ill fishy) I just empty most of the water into the bucket, dump it once it's reached 5 gallons, repeat, then I take the gravel out, and carry the tank which has a tiny bit of water left into the bathroom and I clean and stuff in there, then move the tank back to my room, add the rinsed gravel, and then fill it up all the way using the bucket.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #7 
baylee767

^ +1

Just syphon 25-50% of the water once the tank cycles (depending on number of fish) once a week. You never have to do 100% because that would destroy the cycle.

Ah... may sound unrelated, but how long has it been since the 10 gallon last had water in it?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #8 
Ariel1719

Umm its been almost 5 or 6 months. A long long time, If i do decide to hook it up again I know its going to need a HUGE cleaning :)
Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #9 
peachesxo

i use a bucket with my 10 gallons water changes, it's super easy.
and that way you can bring it to the tap with you and compare the water temps as well before you dump the old tank water and fill it back up
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #10 
baylee767

Ah okay, the reason I needed to know is if you leave a tank without water for too long the silicone gets more delicate or something and it can't hold water. 5 or 6 months isn't long enough for that, so good luck cleaning that thing out!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote