Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #1 
Boogs

Scales, marbling, or some illness?

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum but I have used it countless times over the past week when making my decision to adopt a betta.

I have had Higgs since Friday. He is a male crowntail. His body was a deep blue with red fins when I found him but I am now seeing a few spots that are shiny and almost white on top of his head. I am not sure if they are scales that might have been bothered by the skull decoration in his tank or if he is changing colors and has some marble pattern or if this is the beginning of some illness.

This symptom was noticed this morning.

He lives in a 5 gallon tank with one gold mystery snail. All of the water levels have been checked and re-checked and all fall within the normal and safe ranges. No chlorine in the water. The temp has been holding steady at 79-80. There is a filter on the tank that I baffled with a biosponge. I have done a 30% water change and was planning on continuing this amount every third day or so. He has not eaten but a few freeze dried bloodworms I gave him before I acclimated him to his tank. I give him 2-3 pellets in the morning and at night and remove what is not eaten after 30 minutes or so (in case he didn't want to eat while I was watching). I am attaching some pictures in the hope that you knowledgeable betta lovers can help. I really hope Higgs is ok!

Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #2 
Boogs

Anyone? :(
Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.......at this point I would just continue to watch him and stay up with your planned water changes, you may want to lower the water temp to the 76-77F range for now......

But just to be clear....he is new and not eating very well and has white shinny spot on top of his head that looks like scales not Ich...otherwise he is swimming and acting normally for a new Betta....correct...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #4 
Boogs

Thank you so much for the response! He is new, has not been eating well since I got him, but has otherwise been acting perky. He likes to flare at his reflection in the corner for about ten minutes or so in the evening and shows curiosity in watching me when I am in. He has not hid much and has seemed overall to be healthy. The area does look like scales when I look at it. I am on my way to get something new and to put something in there that I am positive will not hurt him.

I will get the temp a bit lower and watch for any changes.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Since he is overall acting fine and is in the adjustment period.....I would just do clean water treatment.....by that....frequent 50-100% daily water changes with like temp dechlorinated water.....clean water in the number one fish medication....in my experience/opinion......along with time.....
Old 02-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #6 
Boogs

Thanks very much OldFishLady. I will do just that. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Your welcome and keep us posted....