Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #1 
jilllllie

A Used Filter

Hey Guys. I have a fish question which isn't exactly related to Bettas, which is terrible as this is my first post.
Let me introduce myself. I have had Bettas since I was a kid, but this year I decided to get a sorority. We had a 10 gallon with 5 fancy goldfish, and the more research my boyfriend did, the quicker he realized that this was wayyy too list room for them, so we got a used 50 gallon and were left with an empty 10 gallon, which is now where the (happy, healthy and beautiful) sorority live.
Long story short, since acquiring the 50 gallon, my boyfriend's goldfish population has quickly gone from 5 to 3. Now the water is very cloudy, despite a 60% water change he performed. He bought an extra filter in addition to the one that came with the tank. I am starting to wonder if disease could be transmitted through a used filter? Or if there are any other possibilites we are overlooking?

And, I am so happy to have found a friendly Betta forum for myself! Friendly pet forums by any means are very hard to come by, so I consider myself lucky.

Thank you in advance!
jilllllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #2 
Lion Mom

Was the 50 gal. cycled before adding the fish? I'm assuming you rinsed/cleaned/wiped the 50 gal. The fogginess COULD be a bacterial bloom & it is in the process of cycling.

Keep you the water changes for sure!!! Do you have a test kit? That will tell you what kind of shape your water is in. If you don't, you can take your water to the LFS & have it tested - it's usually free.

Good luck with everything!!! :)

OH - and WELCOME to the forum!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #3 
jilllllie

Thank you Lion Mom. We did a water change last night and it is way clearer, but we removed a few of the ornaments that came with the tank and we also replaced the old filter so things are looking wayyy better.
jilllllie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, filter, goldfish, ich