Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #1 
Guppie luver

I am starting to cycle my tank for my betta i need some help

ok so i am getting a female or a male betta. i have a 1.5 with heater and filter the heater is pre set it dosnt get very warm dose any one have a tip and what should i get male or female i can only get 1 now and i was looking at some from walmart so anything is nice!
Guppie luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #2 
Pekemom

I've got a pre-set heater, too. I bought a stick-on thermometer for the outside of the tank (about $1.00) and for the first two weeks, it only registered between 74 and 76 degrees. Now I see it's registered a steady 78! Can't explain it, but it's a good thing..
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #3 
DeadMemories92

Same here! I'm doing the same thing. I'm trying the "fish in tank" method as I had already (stupidly) put them in there. I have 3 bettas in a 10 gallon tank with about 8 gallons in it. I've been doing 25 percent water changes as of today. The tank's been set up for about 3 days now. The water's foggy.
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #4 
Guppie luver

ok thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #5 
c4talys7

I did the shrimp in method for my 14gal and it took about a month for it to cycle. But you have a 1.5 so if you do a fish in cycle method is should be too hard to keep up with the necessary water changes. Do you have a testing kit? Live plants help a lot too.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #6 
Cravenne

Cycling a small tank like that will be difficult. Tanks that small require very frequent water changes. I'd just choose your fish and introduce it.

For my small tank, filtered, I do 100% every other day. I've seen some different suggestions around here...like 50% one week and %100 the next. It really depends on the water parameters.
Once the fish is in you can test the water frequently and set your own schedule up. However, I wouldn't be too concerned about pre cycling..
Just make sure the temperature is stable and warm enough...buy a new heater if you have to.

I'd also suggest getting a boy for no other reason then I LOVE them the most..lol. Good luck and enjoy!
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #7 
Guppie luver

thnx you are realy helpful i will