Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #1 
Starbright

My betta is VERY shy... is this odd?

I got a blue/white hm male yesterday and noticed he's extremely timid and shy. He hides behind plants all day, never flares or shows his beautiful fins and gets freaked out when I approach. He turns away when he sees me and is absolutely scared of his reflection when I held a mirror to him. He tried jumping out of the tank and started crashing in to walls when he saw himself... =/

He also just idles near the top of the water. He doesn't have SBD because he swims perfectly fine.. he just chills there... not moving.

I really don't want an anti-social betta :(
Is there something wrong with him?

I have two other bettas right now that were spunky from the start. I just now took a picture of him and he got FREAKED out by the camera and spazzed out... running in to walls ;_;

Him facing away from me towards my wall

Him getting freaked out, running to the other side and idling on top again... =/
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #2 
Vikki81207

He'll probably be like that until he gets used to his new home. Give him some time, then start worrying.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Vikki. He's just getting used to his new home and will probably act that way until he gets used to everything. Mine were that way for a few days until they realized where the food was coming from. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #4 
AngelicScars

Yep, I think it's all normal. He needs to get used to his home, lights, sounds, you. After he realizes you are okay and you feed him, he'll definitely perk up! :)
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:23 AM   #5 
Starbright

Bad news. He was face down in the middle of a plant. When I touched the plant, he sunk lower.. Unmoving. By now I faced the fact that he was dead so I got the net. When I got him in the net, he began moving again, but just barely. I'm pretty sure he's going back to the store tm :(
Old 07-18-2009, 08:24 AM   #6 
bettalover3000

hes not flaring because it not another mzle and since he shy try to put a female in the tank
bettalover3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #7 
BakaMandy

Do you have a heater in the tank? Cause he looks perfectly fine, although his belly looks a little big... O_o'' Compared to a previous picture I saw of him in your "New Betta :D" thread, he defiantly looks more bloated. Perhaps he's constipated? If not, maybe look up other fish sickness that associate with bloating, or if anyone else might have an idea...

Btw, those plants look like they might do some damage to betta fins D: I had those and they majorly ripped up my betta's fins.

D: He's a beautiful betta, don't let him go to waste ):
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would most definitely NOT recommend putting a female in the tank with him!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #9 
sweetviolets

That is a beautiful blue fish!
sweetviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #10 
Starbright

Thanks for the advice guys! I have one of those sticky thermometers on the outside of my tank and it says the water temp is 81F without the heater. My room is constantly stifling in the summer. I had to unplug the heater in my other two tanks as well :P I had those plants in my other betta tank and no damage was done =/ Thanks for the advice about the plants though, I'll get rounder leafed plants today ^^