It's been almost 3 months since I've had Shamus and he's finally built his first bubblenest. It must have been the frogbit that was added almost two weeks ago. The frogbit arrived by mail in poor condition. There was one plant (out of six) that survived intact. There were a couple of single leaves that I went ahead and threw in the tank too. I now have 10 plants.
My Walmart lily bulb has finally sprouted as well. It took about 18 days to do so. The other bulb is in the 5 gal. tank, but I don't think the light in that tank is sufficient. Still waiting. I've also add moss under the filter. It's wild moss found here in Missouri - I don't suppose it will live but I will leave it until it appears unhealthy. I kind of wanted to try it out and see if I liked moss up there. The lily bulb is in lower right area of tank. I've just got a regular houseplant cutting sticking through the moss. The moss acts as a terrific baffle for water current. Couple of caves in the rocks (my snail is in one of them - the other cave is in behind the fake plant front and center). Obviously Shamus is liking the changes. He is already rolling around on the lily.