Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #1 
gmd1800

Octavius only likes flakes

So I've had my guy in my room for the past three days, and owned him for a total of four or five days. He wouldn't eat when I first moved him to my room, and I assumed that he wasn't hungry since he apparently ate my friend's snail.

I've been dropping a couple of pellets in his tank twice a day for the last couple of days, but he was still rooting around and acting hungry. Just a few hours ago, I put in a couple pellets for his dinner. I came back from dealing with an issue on my floor that involved the police (I'm an RA), and he still hadn't eaten the pellets so I scooped them out. I noticed he was acting famished and rooting around in the stones.

So I dropped in a few flakes and he went NUTS. Zipped around the tank eating every piece he could get. I know pellets are preferred for a healthy diet, but he obviously doesn't like them. In this case, would it be okay to feed with flakes and supplement him with something else?

The pellets I was feeding him was the only one available at PetCo, Wardley's Betta Food. The flakes I just gave him is BettaMin Tropical Medley (has brine shrimp in it too). He's in a filtered 3 gallon tank with an air pump and several silk plants, if that helps anything.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:50 AM   #2 
Alex09

I think it would be fine. You should supplement with something high in protein. Like bloodworms. Try to get live/frozen instead of freeze-dried as those are of better nutritional value. Just add some variety.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #3 
Lion Mom

It's fine, IMO. Especially since it's made for bettas. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #4 
windfire

shouldnt be a problem, all mine eat flakes as none of them would eat pellets and as long as its a quality food it should be ok. try mosquito larvae and see what he does with them mine loves them, its so much fun watching him chase them down, and they very high in protein and bonus they free lol
windfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #5 
Nepale

Im about to get mosquito larvae today,is there any specific brand I should avoid?

I just gave him a couple bloodworms,he went crazy,literally.They were still on the top when he was speeding up to the surface with his mouth open. Acting like a little lion with gazelle meal.
Nepale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #6 
vaygirl

They absolutely freak for bloodworms. It's like feeding frenzy. It can take a while for them to realize they're food though. Wiggling them around with dull tweezers can help. Logan likes to wrestle them from the tweezers. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #7 
Nepale

That's interesting.What other activities do you suggest since Im really new to this and I Don't want to stress him much,he's just so fragile looking.
Nepale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

I wondering why. I think I know which pellets u talking about. They are huge. I bought them one time and was even afraid to give it to them I though those pellets ridiculously big. They so big it takes time for them to even sink on the bottom.

I don’t like flakes because when betta eat it a lot of them sink to the bottom. So I always afraid that it contaminate the water faster.

Try this brands all my betta love it.

1).All my bettas love Betta Food Daily nutrition for all bettas by Aqueon in the yellow box with betta picture on it. It not in every store though. I just call # on the bottle as I am writing. I know they didn’t discontinue them. The # on the bottle 1800-255-4527 www.aqueonproducts.com I called left mess I want to find out how to order it. They told me will call back .

2). SPECTRUM BettaFormula bu Natural in the blue box. Really good. It in the blue container. The only thing it sinking to the bottom really fast. Well my bettas eat them before that happened :)

3)TOP FIN Color Enhancing Betta Bits my bettas love them too. It kind of bigger than other ones but not as big as u was talking about.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #9 
windfire

i just catch mine from any body of standing water, of coarse i look like a twit sitting over a puddle with a spoon in one hand and a dish in the other but oh well lol.
windfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #10 
JaspersANGEL

So u can catch wild mosquito larvae and feed them to ur Betta's?
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote