Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 AM   #1 
baylee767

Question Me wanty a blackwater stream setup

Always always always, ever since I first got into Bettas, I've wanted a completely natural tank. As in something like a thousand gallon black water stream with lots of Bettas together. And hundreds of plants... and some fish that are found in Thailand and are compatable.

One day, I WILL setup a completely natural tank like that (In my dreams...). I probably wont have the money for it until I'm 30, but it's my big goal to have a giant fish tank one day.

For now all I have is a little 10 gallon, and I want to add tannins to the water like in a blackwater stream, but I don't want rotten IAL's all over the surface and bottom. I've read that it helps a lot to use peat moss in the cartridge, and to add driftwood and LOTS of plants (Tallest in the back) and little to no flow. I think that would make Neon the worlds happiest Betta, because from my understanding Bettas greatly benefit from tannins.

How would I get a setup like that though? I'd probably also add pygmy cories and Neon tetras too, BTW, and I'll be using RO water so I don't have silicates in my tank. I'd hate to see diatoms in a natural tank like that... Or in any tanks.

For some reason when ever I setup my tanks they turn out the opposite of what I wanted! My current tank was supposed to be natural... Lol. But I did get inspired at a plant store when they were setting up this 70 gallon tank for one of their complex setups, they had this awesome soil-like substrate sloping up hill, with bits of either driftwood or rock sticking out of the substrate, and I think I should do that with driftwood for a natural look and to add tannins. But I'm not sure something like that would be enough...

BLEH. So, once again, how do I get a natural, tannin-filled tank? (And which would look more natural to you, soil or sand?)
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:25 AM   #2 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Since you are wanting a giant tank someday this is a website you might want to check out...monsterfishkeepers.com
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:05 AM   #3 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
I forgot to tell you..Believe it or not there is a guy on that website that has a 50,000 (Yes, Fifty-Thousand) Gallon tank complete with pictures. He does a 10,000 (Yes, Ten-Thousand) Gallon water change once a week.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:11 AM   #4 
baylee767

What, does he own an aquarium? (The kind with shark tunnels and stuff)
Old 02-23-2011, 03:42 AM   #5 
luvmybetta

When you get a chance you might take a look at that website. It has pictures of the complete construction of his monster tank. It looks like he built it into the side of a building structure (I would assume for maintenance purposes). Talk about a DIY project!! You ought to see the fish he has in the finished tank.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #6 
baylee767

Those people are INASANE. Like... drop dead crazy.

Does anyone know how I can get tannins and a natural setup?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

I use IAL to tint the water. I don't have any issues with them rotting. In a planted aquarium they just become part of the "ecosystem" if you will. If you have snails or shrimp they will break down the leaf and you will get all the tannins the leaf has to offer where as blackwater extract often doesn't use the leaf's full potential.

In my grow out tank the leaves break down and I suck up the detritus. Usually the only part I have to pick out is the woody stem part.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #8 
luvmybetta

Back to monsterfishkeepers.com...It has been awhile since I was on that forum. So, if you want to skip looking through everything go to Articles and then go to MFK Articles...Then you will see everyone's DIY Monster Tank Projects. After looking again at his pictures he actually built the Fifty-Thousand Gallon Tank into his basement. Their Introduction Page to the forum states they take their hobby to the NEXT level. The largest tank I have ever had was a 300 Gallon. A tiny Betta cup compaired to his. When I was keeping several different sizes of tanks, I used to think that I had a problem..After looking at several of their DIY projects, I am convinced that I don't.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #9 
bettafish15

Monster Fish Keepers is the best. I go on there all the time, even though my biggest (and only) tank is a 14g XD There was this guy in costa rica who made a gigantic pond and filled it with african cichlids. @.@
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #10 
LolaQuigs

I've been hanging around MSFK lately too. My dream is to someday have a 100 gallon with a black knife ghost fish and maybe some angels. Someday....
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote