Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #11 
baylee767

Yep... I kind of want a peacful warm water 1000 gal community, a large goldfish pond, and for a couple of months now... a tank with an arowana! Dreams do come true you know!

About the tannins, I was thinking of adding tea bags until I redo my tank. Would decaffinated green tea bags help to add them? Also, I was just wondering, do tannins help the fish at all?
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #12 
1fish2fish

I'm a huge proponent of IAL helping fish. The only thing I do to treat fin rot is IAL and salt (and water changes of course). I've also noticed that since using it my fish's fins and scales seem harder and stronger and the fish just seem happier in general (...lol it sounds like I'm trying to sell them).

.... dunno about green tea. The only ones I've heard people use are Oak Leaves which you probably don't have in hawaii, bananna leaves (which you probably do), and IAL.

As for MFK... love that site. Eventually I want a big 300 gal Oscar tank and a Discus tank. I wouldn't go as far as 50,000 gallons although it would be nifty to have some of the giant Amazonian cat fish, etc. (As you can tell I have 0 interest in salt water tanks).

I also want a koi/goldfish pond. Not a huge one because all the places I plan to live would most likely require me to bring the fish into a separate tank during the winter months.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #13 
jessiepbg

I always figured that if I won the lottery, I'd convert a room of my house into a scuba-diveable saltwater tank. At that point, I'd have the money to pay someone to clean it for me too.

In the real world, I plan to buy a 55 or 75 whenever I settle down and don't have to worry about relocating the tank when I move. I'm getting my new 30 gallon on Saturday and I figure that's about as big as I can go before they throw me out of the house.

I love the blackwater stream idea, you just don't see enough nature-inspired tanks.

Last edited by jessiepbg; 02-24-2011 at 10:49 AM.
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #14 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybetta View Post
I forgot to tell you..Believe it or not there is a guy on that website that has a 50,000 (Yes, Fifty-Thousand) Gallon tank complete with pictures. He does a 10,000 (Yes, Ten-Thousand) Gallon water change once a week.
I would haate to see his water bill! That is awesooome though!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #15 
1fish2fish

Tanks like that would have re-filtration set up so it's not the same thing as pouring 10,000 gallons of water down the kitchen sink (wow.. is that an image LOL).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #16 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
I really didn't mean to hijack this thread; So, after this post I will back out. My 300 Gallon was an Amazon Red Belly Piranha Biotope.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:26 AM   #17 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
This is a way that you can start using tannins in your tank without waiting for a shipment of IAL and just to try it to see if it is what you want in your tank. Get some peat (make sure it doesn't contain ANY chemicals, such as fertilizer) place the peat in an old pan, add water, and simmer for about 30-45 minutes. Get a container and place an old towel over the container and pour your brew through the towel into your container. You now have tannins without placing it into your filter. Now, since you are using R/O water continue to monitor water parameters as peat will lower PH. I am giving you this information because you mentioned using peat. I ordered IAL's and they should arrive Mid-March and I have decided that I am going to use them with the same method; As, my Betta lives in an artificial world not a planted tank. You can use a piece of driftwood. It will add tannins slowly to your water. You can boil the driftwood; But, the tannins will leach faster. All of the driftwood that I have used I scrubbed very well with a brush and soaked for at least two weeks in just plain water. If after this, you find your driftwood won't stay anchored in the bottom of your tank just attach something with weight (like a flat rock) to the driftwood using fishing line. Some of my extra large pieces of driftwood continued to float and I had to drill into them and attach slate to anchor them to the bottom of the tank. You won't encounter this problem in a Betta tank.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #18 
BlackberryBetta

Wow does anybody have the link to the pic of the 50.000g tank? I can't find it on the website.
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #19 
LolaQuigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryBetta View Post
Wow does anybody have the link to the pic of the 50.000g tank? I can't find it on the website.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...ead.php?t=8952
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #20 
JKfish

Baylee, you could buy IAL and then brew them in a pot like you're making tea. That way you can get the water to the brown tint you like and pour it in without having to add the leaf.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote