Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #21 
bettafreak33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You are correct...Mollies do not have to have brackish water, however, they will thrive much better in brackish than freshwater....

There is a difference in surviving and thriving......a fish can survive in the wrong conditions but rarely will they thrive.....

When you stock fish- you stock based on more than how big they will be as an adult and tank size...you also need to stock based on social needs, territory needs, water chemistry needs and compatibility.....even when all these needs are not met they can survive but they rarely thrive...its the hobbyist job and responsibility as the pet owner to try and meet their needs as best as they can.
Mine are thriving.
How do I know that?:Their colors are VERY vivid,they are VERY active,they eat flakes,bloodworms,and algae wafers, they are in 125gal.tank,And I have about 20 molly fry.
bettafreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #22 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafreak33 View Post
Mine are thriving.
How do I know that?:Their colors are VERY vivid,they are VERY active,they eat flakes,bloodworms,and algae wafers, they are in 125gal.tank,And I have about 20 molly fry.
No one ever said they weren't.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #23 
bettafreak33

Just sayin'.
bettafreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #24 
kash

my betta with a mollie

I've had a lone blue crowntail male betta in a 2.5 gal tank and thought it might be nice to add a friend for him. My local pet store said I could add a mollie so I chose a pretty gold dust mollie to stand out from my blue fish. I started the introduction and new there would be some resistance. My betta would swim up, puff himself all up, then swim off and seem to hide, but repeats this routine every little bit. I'm hesitant to put my mollie in there if it will be bad. How long after I put the mollie in would I be able to tell if my betta will accept him/her? I don't want anyone too traumatized or killed.
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #25 
LolaQuigs

Mollies are schooling fish and need to be kept with multiple other mollies. A 2.5 gallon is too small for a betta to have fish tank mates. In a2.5 gallon you could add some shrimp or maybe a small snail, but be aware that the betta could try to eat them.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #26 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash View Post
I've had a lone blue crowntail male betta in a 2.5 gal tank and thought it might be nice to add a friend for him. My local pet store said I could add a mollie so I chose a pretty gold dust mollie to stand out from my blue fish. I started the introduction and new there would be some resistance. My betta would swim up, puff himself all up, then swim off and seem to hide, but repeats this routine every little bit. I'm hesitant to put my mollie in there if it will be bad. How long after I put the mollie in would I be able to tell if my betta will accept him/her? I don't want anyone too traumatized or killed.
You need to get at least a 20 gallon for your mollie and his necessary tank mates.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #27 
kash

ok, I'll try something else. Thanks for the info - obviously my pet store was less than knowledgable.
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #28 
turtle10

You should never trust anything pet store employees say, they usually are wrong. I am sure you can return the mollie though.